Occassional Cocktails may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
The Mexican mule is a fun tequila based twist on a classic Moscow mule cocktail. This one is light, refreshing and full of spicy ginger flavor.
What is a Mexican Mule Cocktail?
A Mexican mule is a combination of tequila, ginger beer, lime juice, ice and is topped with a sprig of mint. This cocktail has a fizzy and spicy ginger flavor that is smooth with a little twist of citrus and a hint of mint and bite of alcohol as it goes down.
This cocktail is a variation of the IBA classic Moscow mule. This drink simply swaps tequila for vodka. The original Moscow mule dates back to the 1940s.
This drink is actually classified as a buck drink. Buck drinks are drinks that are a combination of citrus, liquor and ginger ale or ginger beer.
Mule drinks such as this one are typically served in a copper mug. The copper mug provides a nice insulation which keeps the drink super cool as you sip it.
However, if you don’t have a copper mug, don’t feel like you can’t make this drink. You can still serve this up in a highball glass or any other type of glassware you prefer.
The tequila and this cocktail provides all of the alcohol content. There are several different types of tequila including silver and gold. We like to use a silver tequila in this drink which has a more neutral flavor which allows a ginger beer to stand out.
The ginger beer in this drink provides a spicy fizzy flavor. It is really the standout flavor in this cocktail. So, it’s essential to choose a high quality ginger beer to use.
When to Make This Drink:
This drink is perfect for whipping up at a variety of different times including:
- afternoon sipping
- summertime celebrations
- spring get togethers
- cocktail hour
If you’re looking to change this drink up a little, try some of these ideas out:
- Squeeze your own lime juice. Instead of using store-bought bottle juice, squeeze your own for an extra fresh taste.
- Change up the tequila. Tryout different tequilas such as gold instead of silver to have a little more of a complex flavor.
- Add a little sweetness. Use a little dash of simple syrup to make this drink a little sweeter. Or, you can even use a flavored simple syrup such as mint simple syrup or ginger simple syrup.
- Change up the liquor. Make this a Kentucky mule by using wild turkey, an Irish mule by using Jameson Irish whiskey, or a Gin Gin mule by using gin.
How to make this drink:
You should be able to whip this one together in 5 minutes or less. Simply toss your three ingredients in a mug and get to sipping.
- Copper Mug
- 2 oz Tequila
- 4 oz Ginger beer
- .5 oz Lime juice
- Top with mint leaves
Get started by gathering all of your ingredients including tequila, ginger beer, lime juice, copper mug, ice, spring of mint and jigger.
Toss enough ice into the copper mug so that it is filled to the top.
Pick up the tequila and use a jigger to measure 2 oz. Toss the tequila into the mug.
Pick up the lime juice and use a jigger to measure 0.5 oz. Toss the lime juice into the mug.
Pick up the ginger beer and use a jigger to measure 4 oz. Toss the ginger beer into the mug.
Place a sprig of mint in the side of the glass and get to sipping.
- Copper Mug
- 2 ioz Tequila
- 4 oz Ginger Beer
- .5 oz Lime Juice
- Sprig Mint
- Take some ice and fill up the copper mug to the top.
- Use a jigger and measure out 2 oz of Tequila. Pour the tequila into the mug.
- Use a jigger and measure out .5 oz of lime juice. Pour the lime juice into the mug.
- Use a jigger and measure out 4 oz of ginger beer. Pour the ginger beer into the mug.
- Grab a sprig of mint and put it into the side of the mug.