Occassional Cocktails may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
Is cream soda good with whiskey? The answer to that is resounding yes! Whiskey and cream soda is all rich, sweet caramel and vanilla flavor explosion in your mouth. As an extra bonus this cocktail is super simple to stir up.
What is a Whiskey and Cream Soda?
A whiskey and cream soda is a simple two ingredient cocktail that has a rich, creamy taste. It has notes of caramel from the whiskey and a strong flavor of vanilla from the cream soda.
Whiskey actually comes in multiple varieties as well as some different flavors. Some of the types of whiskey you can find are Tennessee whiskey, Kentucky whiskey, Irish whiskey and Canadian whiskey.
The main differences and these whiskeys are the type of grain used, the type of barrel used and the amount of time they are aged. These differences will result in slightly different flavor profiles for each whiskey.
Any type of whiskey works well in this cocktail. As mentioned above, each type May contribute a slightly different flavor profile. Some of the best whiskeys to use for this drink are:
- Jameson’s Irish whiskey
- Crown Royal (a Canadian whiskey)
- Fireball (a cinnamon flavored whiskey)
When to Make it
This drink mixes up so quickly that it really suits just about any occasion you can think of. However, with its sweet caramel vanilla flavor some of the top occasions you might use it for are:
- Summertime get togethers like pool parties or barbecues
- Late afternoon summer sipping
How to make this drink:
You should be able to whip this drink up in 2 minutes or less. You only need two ingredients and a few steps.
- 2 oz Whiskey (Jamesons or Crown Royal are favorites, but any will work)
- 4 oz Cream Soda
- (optional garnish) cherries
As you get started you want to make sure you have all of your equipment and ingredients together. Get your jigger, bar spoon, highball glass, whiskey and cream soda ready to go.
Make sure that you have filled your glass with ice. It should be filled almost the top.
If you want to add a cherry garnish: Stick three cherries onto a cocktail pick and put that in the side of your glass.
Next you can add your whiskey. Do this by measuring out 2 oz with your jigger. And then tossing the whiskey into your glass over the ice.
Now you can add your cream soda. Do this by measuring out 4 oz with your jigger. And then toss the cream soda into your glass with your ice and whiskey.
Pro tip: you don’t have to be exact when measuring the cream soda. In fact, if you just want to top the glass off instead of measuring out the cream soda you can do that. The more cream soda you add the lighter the taste of the whiskey will be.
Lastly, you want to make sure everything is stirred together. Do this by using your bar spoon, putting it in your glass and giving everything a couple stirs.
Since you are mixing soda you want to make sure you do the stirring gently to make sure you don’t get the soda fizzing too much.
Your drink is ready. You can sit back and take a sip!
Whiskey and Cream Soda
- bar spoon
- highball glass
- 2 oz Whiskey
- 4 oz Cream Soda
- As you get started gather round all of your supplies and ingredients including: whiskey, cream soda, jigger, glass, and bar spoon
- Take your glass and fill it up with ice.
- Take our jigger and fill it with 2 oz of Whiskey. Dump that whiskey into your glass.
- Take your jigger and fill it with 4 oz of Cream Soda. Dump that cream soda into your glass with the whiskey.Note: Or, you can just top the glass off with cream soda instead of measuring with the jigger.
- Take your bar spoon and stir everything up slowly, but thoroughly.