Occassional Cocktails may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
The blue mojito is a refreshing, mint and brilliantly blue cocktail. If you are looking for a party drink, this one might be for you!
What is a Blue Mojito?
A blue mojito is essentially a mojito with Blue Curacao added in. The overwhelming flavors of this cocktail are those of a regular mojito with the minty freshness from the muddled mint and the crisp bite from the rum.
What does Blue Curacao taste like?
Blue curacao tastes similar to triple sec – it has a light, sweet orange citrus flavor. The Blue Curacao, of course, lends it’s brilliant blue color as well.
Best occasions for this cocktail
Like the blue margarita or other drinks with blue curacao, this bright blue colored drink is perfect for summertime celebrations. What says beach party or pool day more than a fresh and sweet, blue mojito?
The minty freshness is perfect for any hot summer day. So, whether you are relaxing by yourself of having a get together by the pool or at a BBQ, this cocktail is a great go-to.
What is a blue mojito made of?
A blue mojito is made of mint leaves, simple syrup, blue curacao, white rum, lime juice and soda water. For exact amounts, see the ingredients list below.
A note on the rum. There are many different types of rum including white rum, coconut rum, dark rum and spiced rum. For this cocktail, you will want to use white rum. The other rums have much more distinctive and heavier flavors which may not mix as well or may take over the mint flavor. The mint flavor is the key to this drink, so we don’t want to overwhelm that.
How to make this drink:
This drink is fairly simple to make. Although, it does involve a couple extra steps to get it going including muddling mint. But once you get the hang of it, it’s not difficult to do.
- 5 – 10 mint leaves
- 1.5 oz white rum
- 1 oz lime juice
- .5 oz blue curacao
- .5oz simple syrup
- top with club soda
Gather together your muddler, shaker, Glass and jigger. Also gather all of your ingredients.
Grab some ice and fill your glass to the top.
Take about five or so mint leaves and drop them into the bottom of your cocktail shaker.
Measure 1 oz of lime juice with your jigger and pour it into your Shaker with your mint leaves.
Measure half ounce of simple syrup with your jigger and pour it into your Shaker with your lime juice and mint leaves.
Use your muddler to mash the mint leaves in with the lime juice and simple syrup. You don’t want to completely pulverize the mint leaves. Just smash enough to release some of their juice and flavor.
Measure one and a half ounces of white rum with your jigger and add that to your cocktail shaker.
Measure half ounce of Blue Curacao with your jigger and add that to your cocktail shaker as well.
Put the top on your Shaker and give it a shake. Usually takes about 15 or 20 seconds to mix the ingredients thoroughly.
Remove your top and place the Hawthorne strainer over the top of the cocktail shaker. Then go ahead and pour your liquid from your Shaker into your highball glass over your ice.
Take your club soda and go ahead and top your drink off with soda.
You can give it a little stir with a bar spoon if you desire.
Lastly, take a mint leaf or two and flip them on the top of your drink for a garnish.
Now you’re ready to sip and enjoy!
- highball glass
- bar spoon
- cocktail shaker
- Hawthorne strainer
- 5 – 10 leaves Mint Leaves
- 1.5 oz White Rum (we like Bacardi)
- 1 oz Lime Juice
- .5 oz Blue Curacao
- .5 oz Simple Syrup
- (Splash) Soda Water/Club Soda
- To start, fill your highball glass with ice.
- Toss 5 or so mint leaves into your cocktail shaker.
- Use your jigger to measure 1 oz of lime juice and add that to the shaker.
- Use your jigger to measure .5 oz of simple syrupe and add that to the shaker.
- Use your muddler and smash the mint leaves in with the lime juice and simple syrup. Just smash lightly enough to release the juice/flavor from them.
- Add ice to your cocktail shaker. Fill it almost to the top.
- Use your jigger to measure .5 oz of Blue Curacao and add to your shaker.
- Use your jigger to meausre 1.5 oz of White rum and add that to your shaker.
- Cap the shaker with the shaker top and shake for 15 – 20 seconds.
- Take off the shaker top and place the hawthorne strainer on top.
- Strain the liquid from the shaker into your highball glass.
- Garnish with a few additional mint leaves on top.