If you’re looking for new ways to use up some peanut butter whiskey, try it out in this fun flavor twist on a traditional cocktail. This peanut butter whiskey old fashioned is super easy to make and a full of salty nutty flavor.
What is a Peanut Butter Whiskey Old Fashioned?
A peanut butter whiskey old fashion is a combination of peanut butter whiskey and bitters served in a rocks glass. It has a sweet and salty peanut flavor that is very smooth going down.
This cocktail is essentially a peanut butter flavored twist on the classic old fashioned cocktail. A classic old fashioned is regular whiskey combined with either simple syrup or a sugar cube and some bitters.
If you like flavored old fashioned drinks, you might also enjoy the peanut butter and jelly old fashioned which is very similar to this drink only with a sweet fruity flavor added in as well. Or even a chocolate old fashioned.
Peanut butter whiskey is a flavored whiskey liqueur. It is considered of a liqueur instead of a liquor due to the fact the sweeteners and other flavorings bring the alcohol content down below the threshold needed to be considered a liquor.
It is a sweet, salty and peanut flavored drink. There are many different brands to use. We like skrewball or skatterbrain.
There are many different types of bitters. We chose to use angostura and the strength which is a traditional one used in an old-fashioned. They are a very complex spice and herb blend. And help to bring out and balance out flavors and liquor.
When to Make This Drink:
This super easy to make, peanut butter flavored sipper can be served up for:
- After dinner drinks
- Cocktail Hour
Looking for a few ways to vary this one up? Try a few of these ideas:
- Use one large ice cube. Old fashioned drinks sometimes will be served with just one large cube in the glass. This is to help dilute the whiskey as it slowly melts while you sip on it.
- Add a smidge of water. If the whiskey is a little too strong, you can add a dash or two of water to dilute it before you get to sipping.
- Try a flavored bitters. We used angostura bitters for the strength. However, we’ve also tried orange bitters which meld very well with the peanut butter flavor.
- Change up the garnishes. Garnishes help to enhance flavors as well as to change the colors and visual of the drink. Some other common garnishes to serve in this cocktail include an orange twist or wedge.
- Add a little soda water. If you want to dilute the cocktail but want to give it a little carbonation, you can add a dash or two of soda or seltzer water.
- Need the sweeten it up. Use a sugar cube in this drink or even a little dash of simple syrup for a flavored simple syrup. We tend to find the peanut butter whiskey plenty sweet, but if you want to ramp up the sweetness you can surely do so.
How to make this drink:
With only two ingredients and no shaking or glass remain needed you can toss this one together in 2 minutes or less.
- 2 oz Peanut butter whiskey
- 4 dashes Angostura bitters
- orange twist or wedge and maraschino cherry (optional garnishes)
got everything together including three maraschino cherries on a cocktail pic, jigger, rocks glass, bitters and peanut butter whiskey. If desired, one large or a few small ice cubes.
Get your brownish ready by sticking the cocktail pick through the center of the three maraschino cherries. If you desiring to put ice in a drink now is a time to put in into your glass.
Pick up the peanut butter whiskey and the jigger. Measure out 2 oz of peanut butter whiskey and toss it into the glass.
Pick up the bitters. At about 2 to 4 dashes directly into the glass with the whiskey.
Pick the glass up and give it a couple swirls to mix everything together. Drop your cocktail pic with cherries into the glass and begins sipping.
Peanut Butter Whiskey Old Fashioned
- Rocks glass
- bar spoon
- 2 oz Peanut Butter Whiskey
- 4 dashes Angostura bitters
- Orange wedge or twist (optional garnish)
- Maraschino cherry (optional garnish)
- Grab the peanut butter whiskey and jigger. Measure 2 oz and toss into the rocks glass.
- Grab the Angostura bitters. Add about 4 dashes into the glass.
- Give a swirl or stir with the bar spoon.
- If you want to add an optional garnish:1) Cut a thin orange wedge and toss into the drink.2) Stick a few cherries on a pick and drop it into the glass.