If you’re looking for a decadent twist on an old classic, try out delicious chocolate old fashioned cocktail. This cocktail is a perfect dessert drink or a simple after dinner sipper.
What is a Chocolate Old Fashioned?
A chocolate old fashioned is a combination of whiskey, orange bitters, chocolate bitters and chocolate liqueur. It is essentially a chocolate flavored version of the commonly known old fashioned cocktail. It has a strong whiskey flavor with a little touch of chocolate and citrus on the back end.
Whiskey comes in several different variations including Irish whiskey (which is what we’re going to use in this recipe), bourbon, Tennessee whiskey, and Canadian whiskey to name a few.
Whiskey even comes and some flavor variations such as chocolate whiskey and peanut butter whiskey. You can use peanut butter whiskey to make a peanut butter old fashioned. For the purposes of this cocktail any whiskey works well. We prefer the sweeter smoother Irish whiskey or a chocolate whiskey. Or you can leave all the liquor out and try a virgin old fashioned.
What are bitters?
Bitters are essentially a flavoring extract. They’re made by extracting the flavor out of things like fruits or spices and mixing it with water and alcohol.
This cocktail doesn’t have a standard recipe, so you may find several variations of how to make this cocktail. Some of these include:
- Using chocolate whiskey instead of plain whiskey.
- Using a chocolate honey syrup instead of a chocolate liqueur.
- Adding your bitters straight onto a sugar cube for the sweet flavor.
- You can even use a peanut butter whiskey to have a peanut butter chocolate old fashioned.
How to make this drink:
This cocktail is super easy to serve up. You simply add your ingredients to the Shaker and shake well. You should be able to whip this one up in 2 minutes or less.
- 2 dashes orange bitters
- 2 dashes chocolate bitter
- 1.5 oz whiskey
- .5 oz chocolate liqueur
- Orange slice or twist
Grab together your chocolates bitters, orange bitters, whiskey, chocolate liqueur, orange, cocktail shaker, strainer, jigger and rocks glass.
If you’re choosing to add an orange garnish then you’ll want to make that next. Cut a slice from your orange. Then cut a small notch and a peel and stick it on the rim of your glass.
Then go ahead and fill up both your rock’s class and your cocktail shaker to the tops with ice.
Now we’re going to get your ingredients measured out. Take your jigger and your whiskey. Measure 1.5 oz of whiskey. Then toss that into your cocktail shaker.
Take your jigger and your chocolate liqueur. Measure 5 oz of chocolate liqueur. Then toss that into your cocktail shaker with your whiskey.
Now, add two dashes of orange bitters. And then two dashes of chocolate bitters both into your cocktail shaker.
Now we need to get everything stirred together. Slap the top on your cocktail shaker and give it a shake. This should take around 20 seconds or so. You are shaker should be cold and icy on the outside when you are finished.
Pop the lid off your Shaker and replace it with your strainer. Then strain your liquid into your rock’s glass.
Your drink is ready for sipping. Enjoy!
Chocolate Old Fashioned
- Hawthorne strainer
- cocktail shaker
- Rocks glass
- 2 dashes Orange Bitters
- 2 dashes Chocolate bitters
- 1.5 oz Whiskey
- .5 oz Chocolate Liqueur
- Orange Slice
- Get all of your ingredients and supplies together and ready to get mixing.
- Toss some ice into your shaker and your glass. Both should be almost totally filled with ice.
- Add two dashes into your cocktail shaker of orange bitters.
- Add two dashes into your cocktail shaker of chocolate bitters.
- Add 1.5 oz of whiskey by measuring it out with your jigger. Toss that whiskey into your jigger.
- Add .5 oz of chocolate liqueur by measuring it out with your jigger. Toss that chocolate liqueur into your jigger.
- If you want to add an orange garnish, cut an orange into wheels and place one wheel on the rim of your glass.