The squashed frog shot is a colorful and bright shot. It Is surprisingly sweet and fruity as well.
What is a Squashed Frog Shot?
A squashed frog shot is a combination of grenadine, Midori and Advocaat. Some people serve this as a layered shot, however, we like to serve it where the advocaat is drizzled into the glass so that it looks sort of like a squashed frog.
Midori is a melon flavored liqueur. It is a bright green liqueur that was originally made in Japan. It is flavored with muskmelon and Yubari. It isn’t very sweet and fruity liqueur.
Grenadine is a bright red sugary sweet syrup. It is made from pomegranates, though some like in its taste to cherries. It is a thick syrup.
Advocaat Is a liqueur that is Dutch. It is a slightly yellow creamy liqueur that looks sort of like eggnog.It is a slightly yellow creamy liqueur that looks sort of like eggnog. Not unlike eggnog, it is made of sugar and eggs. But, advocaat has a spirit added in which is typically brandy.
Occasions to serve this shot
The shot what it’s funny name and pretty flavor is fun for many different occasions including:
There are a few different ways you can make this shot including:
- Cleanly layered. The variation that we give instructions for below sort of mixes the advocaat in the drink so it looks messy like a squashed frog would. However, some recipes for this drink call for cleanly layering each ingredient. Starting with grenadine on the bottom Midori in the middle and advocaat on the top.
- Add Irish cream. Some recipes in variations of the shot call for Irish cream to be added in addition on top of the drink.
- Substitute the grenadine. You could use a red raspberry cordial or schnapps in a place of the grenadine and still have the same color and similar flavor.
How to make this drink:
With only three ingredients and no elaborate rimming or garnishes necessary, this shot is relatively easy to toss together. You do have to take your time a little bit to make sure that you layer the ingredients in properly. You should be able to toss this one together in 5 minutes or so.
- .25 oz grenadine
- 1.5 oz midori
- .5 oz advocaat
Start out by making sure you have everything needed in order to make this drink including a shot glass, grenadine, Midori, advocaat and a jigger.
Pick up the Midori as well as your jigger. Then, measure 1.5 oz of Midori and toss it into your shot glass.
Pick up the advocate as well as the jigger. Then measure .5 oz of advocaat.
To layer the advocaat on top of the Midori, use a bar spoon. Turn the bar spoon upside down and hold it just above the line of Midori. Then, slowly pour the advocaat over the top of the bar spoon so it’s on top of the Midori.
Now, measure out about .25 ounces of grenadine. Slowly drizzle the grenadine either from the jigger into the shot glass if you have a steady hand. Or, you can drizzle it over the back of the bar spoon to make sure it goes slowly.
When you do this, the grenadine will drop to the bottom of the shot which will pull the advocate down into the Midori in some areas.
Squashed Frog Shot
- bar spoon
- shot glass
- .25 oz Grenadine
- 1.5 oz Midori
- .5 oz Advocaat
- Gather together everything listed under ingredients and equipment above.
- Take the midori and measure 1.5 oz with the jigger. Dump that into the shot glass.
- Take the Advocaat and measure .5 oz with the jigger.
- Place the bar spoon upside down in the shot glass just above the midori. Slowly pour the advocaat over the bar spoon so that it sinks into the midori.
- Take the grenadine and measure .25 oz with the jigger.
- Place the bar spoon upside down in the shot glass again. Slowly pour the grenadine over the bar spoon so that it sinks into the bottom of the drink.