Occassional Cocktails may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
Looking for a fun party shot? Try out this tequila slammer and you’ll be amazed with all the fizzy bubbles as you chug this one down.
What is a Tequila Slammer
A tequila slammer is a combination of equal parts tequila and Sprite added to a box class. The thing that makes this shot stand apart is that when you take it you place your hand over the glass raise it up and then slam it (carefully)down onto the table or counter so that the soda fizzes up.
The shot tastes very similar to a regular tequila and Sprite, however, the super amped up fizzing action gives it an extra bubbly feel as you drink it.
Tequila is a clear liquor made from the blue agave plant. There are several variations of tequila including silver, gold and reposado to name a few. The main difference in each variation is the amount of time it’s been aged, if any additives are included and the way that it is aged. Most commonly silver tequila is used in this drink.
When to Make This Drink:
With the fun bubbling action of this drink, it is well suited for a variety of different parties including:
- college parties
- bachelor and bachelorette party
- New Year’s Eve
If you’d like to change up the plain tequila and Sprite in this shot, here are a few ways to do so:
- Use champagne. Instead of using Sprite for the fizzing action, try out an ounce of champagne. Sometimes this version is called tequila Royale slammer.
- Use a different lemon lime soda. Try out 7 up, mountain dew or any other type of lemon lime soda in place of the Sprite to keep the same flavor combination.
- Use a ginger ale. If Lemon lime soda isn’t your favorite, try out ginger ale which will have the same fizzing action but a slightly different flavor.
- Change tequilas. Silver tequila is the most common used in a shot and is the one we used to make it in the ingredients below. However, any type of tequila will do, so if you have a favorite substitute that one in.
- Use tonic water. If you don’t like the sweetness of soda, but still want the fizzing action, try out tonic water instead. If you want a little fruit flavor you can add a squeeze of lemon or lime juice. If you don’t like the sweetness of soda, but still want the fizzing action, try out tonic water instead. If you want a little fruit flavor you can add a squeeze of lemon or lime juice.
A few similar cocktails are: The tequila boom boom shot, tequila and sprite.
How to make this drink:
This is one of the easiest shots to make. It only takes two ingredients, no stirring or shaking. Simply toss them into your glass and slam it down.
- 1 oz Tequila
- 1 oz Champagne, or gingerale or lemon lime soda
Start out by gathering up the jigger, rocks glass, tequila and Sprite. If you like your drink chilled, make sure to put the Sprite in the refrigerator and tequila in the freezer a little beforehand.
If you don’t want to get your hand super messy as you go to take the shot later, also have a napkin or paper towel on hand.
Pick up your tequila and jigger. Measure out 1 oz of tequila and toss it into your rocks glass.
Pick up your Sprite and jigger. Measure out 1 oz of Sprite and toss it into the rocks glass with the tequila.
Place your hand over the top of the rocks glass. Then, carefully lift the glass up and slam it down onto the table.
If you want to keep your hand from getting the Sprite and tequila all over it, cover the top of a glass with a napkin or paper towel.
While you want to do this hard enough that the soda will fizz a lot, obviously be careful and don’t do it so hard that you break the glass or hurt your hand.
After you slam the drink down on the table, the soda will fizz up. Now is the time to quickly chug your shot.
Tequila Slammer Shot
- Rocks glass
- bar spoon
- 1 oz Tequila
- 1 oz Sprite
- Gather up all the things needed to make this shot.
- Since there is no ice used, if you want a chilled drink make sure to stick your tequila in the fridge or freezer beforehand. And use a chilled Sprite.
- Use your jigger and measure out 1 oz of Tequila. Toss that into the rocks glass.
- Use your jigger and measure our 1 oz of Sprite. Toss that into the rocks glass.
- Place your hand (or a napkin, papertowel or something like that if you want to be a little neater) over the top of the glass.
- Slam (carefully, you don't want to break the glass) the glass onto the counter or table.
- The drink will fizz up.
- Quickly chug the shot.
Leave a Reply