Try out the tequila boom boom shot if you like a little spice, a little fizz and a super easy drink. This three ingredient shot stands out due to the fizzing action as you take it.
What is a Tequila Boom Boom Shot?
A tequila boom boom shot is a combination of tequila, champagne and a few dashes of hot sauce. The thing that stands out about this shot is the fact that you slam it carefully onto a table before taking it causing the champagne to fizz up a lot.
Champagne is a type of sparkling wine which is made from grapes in France. There are a wide variety of different champagnes that can have tastes from sweet to dry. When you’re choosing a champagne for this drink any work well. So, choose your favorite.
Tequila is a slightly spicy and slightly sweet clear liquor. There are a few different varieties of tequila including silver, gold and reposado. Differences in each tequila depend on how it’s aged and how long it is aged. Typically, silver tequila is used in this cocktail.
When to Make This Drink:
With the slamming fizzing action of this shot, it fits right in for party atmospheres such as:
- college parties
- New Year’s Eve
- bachelor and bachelorette parties
If you’re looking to change the flavors in this drink up a little, try one of these out:
- Use Sprite. Instead of champagne, try out Sprite. Tequila and Sprite has an almost margarita like flavor that you’re sure to love.
- Use ginger ale. Ginger ale is another carbonated drink that you can substitute the champagne for. It is a little spicy which works well with the tequila.
- Try tonic water or soda water. If you don’t like the sweetness of champagne or soda, use tonic or soda water. And if you want to add in a little flavor give a squeeze of lemon or lime.
- Substitute the hot sauce. If spicy hot sauce isn’t your thing, you can still get the red color in this drink by adding in a dash or two of grenadine. Grenadine will make your drink very sweet.
How to make this drink:
This shot is super duper easy to make. You only need three ingredients and no shaking or stirring necessary. Just toss everything in a glass and bang it on the table.
- 1 oz Tequila
- 1 oz Tonic, champagne or gingerale
- Add a splash of grenadine or tabasco
Start out by gathering everything up including a rocks glass, jigger, hot sauce, tequila and champagne.
Even though this is a shot, it’s best to mix it in a rock glass that way when everything fizzes up the glass will not overflow.
Additionally, if you don’t want to get your hands sticky when you bang it on the table in a later step, set out a napkin or paper towel.
Using your jigger measure out one ounce of tequila. Toss the tequila into the rocks glass.
Using your jigger measure out 1 oz of champagne. Toss the champagne into the rocks glass.
Grab your tobacco and add a few dashes straight into the glass with the champagne and tequila.
Place your hand over the top of the rocks glass. Then, carefully, pick the glass up and slam it down onto the table.
This will cause the champagne to fizz up. While it’s fizzy, quickly chug your shot.
If you don’t want to get your hand messy. Use a napkin or paper towel over the top of the glass when you bang it on the table.
Tequila Boom Shot
- Rocks glass
- 1 oz Tequila
- 1 oz Champagne or Gingerale or Lemon lime soda
- splash Tobasco or grenadine
- Gather your glass, jigger and ingredients.
- If you want a chilled drink, make sure to put your ingredients in the fridge for a bit before making this one.
- Grab your jigger. Measure out 1 oz of tequila. Pour it into the glass.
- Grab your jigger. Measure out 1 oz of Champagne. Pour it into the glass.
- Grab the tabasco sauce and add a few dashes straight into the glass.
- Place your hand (or a paper towel or napkin) over the top of the glass.
- Pick the glass up and (carefully so it doesn't break) slam it onto the table.
- The shot will fizz up.
- Quickly chug it.