Occassional Cocktails may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
If you’re looking for a cocktail to rock you like a hurricane, try out this apply named hurricane cocktail. This one is chock full of alcohol, so make sure to sip it slowly.
What is a Hurricane Cocktail?
A hurricane cocktail is a combination of dark rum, light rum, 151 rum, simple syrup, lime juice, orange juice and passion fruit juice. This cocktail is a beautiful gold-ish orange color and tastes like passion fruit infused with sweet orange slices. It also has a very strong alcohol bite from the rum.
This cocktail was invented at a bar in New Orleans in the early 1950s. During this time whiskey with sometimes hard to come by, hence the large amounts of rum in this cocktail which was much easier to find back then.
All run is made by distilling sugarcane. From there, the different variations such as light, dark, spiced, coconut and 151 are made by either adding spices and flavors to the rum or aging it and a certain way.
Light rum is clear and tends to be a light spicy and sweet flavor. Dark rum obviously is a dark brown color and tends to have a more complex spicy profile. 151 rum is basically an overproofed rum with a much higher alcoholic content.
When you’re choosing an orange juice, lime juice and passion fruit juice for this drink make sure to get them all as fresh as possible. For the passion fruit juice, make sure to get 100% pure passion fruit juice and not a cocktail. For the orange juice, make sure to get a pulp free so that you have a smooth textured drink.
When to Make This Drink:
This drink is chocked full of flavor and alcohol, making it perfect to serve up at times including:
- barbecues and pool parties
- college parties
- tailgating parties
- Mardi gras
There are several different takes on a hurricane recipe, if you would like to change up some of the ingredients we chose to use you can try some of these out:
- Replace the lime juice. Some recipes use lemon juice instead of lime juice. Both work well, the lemon juice tends to be a little more tart.
- Leave out the orange juice. We like to include a little orange juice in this drink to give it a sweet citrus flavor. However, you can just double the passion fruit juice if desired.
- Replace the passion fruit juice. Instead of using passion fruit juice, use an actual passion fruit to make a puree and then add a little grenadine and or simple syrup to it to sweeten it up.
- Add a little grenadine. If you want to brighten the color of the drink and add a little more sweet flavor, add a few dashes of grenadine.
- Use sour mix. Instead of using lime juice and simple syrup, you could substitute it with sour mix. However, sour mix tends to be much sweeter and not taste as fresh as citrus juice and simple syrup. So be aware that the flavor of the cocktail may change some.
How to make this drink:
- 2 oz Light Rum
- 2 oz Dark rum
- .5 oz Simple syrup
- .5 oz 151 rum
- 1 oz Lime juice
- 1 oz Orange Juice
- 1 oz Passion fruit juice
Before you start mixing anything up, make sure you have everything you need. Gather up the hurricane glass, ice, jigger, bar spoon or cocktail shaker, orange juice, lime juice, simple syrup, white rum, dark rum and 151 rum.
Take your hurricane glass and fill it almost completely with ice.
note: We like to build most of our drinks directly in the glass. However, this one can also be built in the shaker if you prefer.
To build it in a shaker, fill the shaker with ice as well. Then, pour your ingredients directly to the shaker. Put the lid on top of the shaker and shake it up. Then, strain the drink into the glass.
Pick up your dark rum. Measure out 2 oz and toss it into your glass.
Pick up your light rum. Measure out 2 oz and toss it into your glass.
Pick up your lime juice. Measure out 1 oz and toss it into your glass.
Pick up your orange juice. Measure out 1 oz and toss it into your glass.
Pick up your simple syrup. Measure out 0.5 oz and toss it into the glass.
Pick up the 151 rum. Measure out 5 oz and toss it into the glass.
Pick up the passion fruit juice. Measure out 1 oz and toss it into the glass.
To get the ingredients mixed together well you can either use the shaker or bar spoon.
To mix in the shaker, simply toss the contents of the glass into the shaker. Then, toss the contents back into the glass.
To mix with the bar spoon, place the spoon into the glass. Then, stir everything well.
- Hawthorne strainer
- cocktail shaker
- Hurricane glass
- 2 oz Light Rum
- 2 oz Dark Rum
- .5 oz Simple Syrup
- .5 oz 151 rum
- 1 oz Lime Juice
- 1 oz Orange Juice
- 1 oz Passion Fruit Juice
- Grab the ice and fill your glass almost to the top.
- Grab your jigger and measure 2 oz of light rum. Pour it into the glass.
- Grab your jigger and measure 2 oz of dark rum. Pour it into the glass.
- Grab your jigger and measure .5 oz of 151 rum. Pour it into the glass.
- Grab your jigger and measure .5 oz of simple syrup. Pour it into the glass
- Grab your jigger and measure 1 oz of lime juice. Pour it into the glass
- Grab your jigger and measure 1 oz of orange juice. Pour it into the glass
- Grab your jigger and measure 1 oz of passion fruit juice. Pour it into the glass.
- To mix the drink up: 1) stir well with a bar spoon; or2) toss all the contents of the glass into the shaker and back into the glass
- If desired, add an orange wedge or maraschino cherry as garnish.
- Fill the shaker with ice as well as the glass.
- Add ingredients directly to the shaker.
- Put the lid on the shaker and shake for 15 – 20 seconds.
- Remove shaker lid.
- Place Hawthorne strainer over top of shaker.
- Pour drink from shaker into glass.