Occassional Cocktails may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
Try out this neon blue electric smurf drink at your next summer celebration. This brightly colored, sweet and tropical drink is refreshing and fun to sip on.
What is an Electric Smurf Drink?
An electric smurf drink is a combination of blue curaçao, coconut rum, pineapple juice and sprite all mixed together and served in a rocks glass. This neon blue drink tastes very sweet and tropical with a fizzy, citrus bite.
Coconut rum is a rum based liqueur. It is actually a liqueur and not a liquor due to the fact that the ingredients added in drive the alcohol by volume percentage down. It is made by mixing rum, coconut extract, sweeteners and other flavors and additives. This liqueur is sweet and coconut flavored.
Blue Curacao lends this drink it’s neon blue color. Blue Curacao itself is an orange flavored liqueur. It is made with blue food coloring, a neutral base spirit and orange peels.
The pineapple juice contributed a sweet tropical flavor to this drink. Make sure to get 100% pure pineapple juice and not a cocktail.
Another electric named drink with similar color is this electric lemonade.
When to Make This Drink:
This easy to make four ingredient cocktail is perfect for serving at a variety of different times including:
- beach vacations
- pool parties
- 4th of July parties
This drink is kind of fun because there are several different ways you can change it up slightly, but still maintain the similar flavor profile and color. Try some of these suggestions out:
- Use a different lemon lime soda. We prefer Sprite and that’s what we used in our recipe below, however there are other lemon lime sodas you can choose from such as 7 up and mountain dew.
- Substitute for the soda. If you don’t have any soda, or perhaps don’t like how sweet soda is, you can tone this drink down a little bit but still get the citrus fizz by mixing lemon juice and club soda.
- Add in pineapple rum. If you’d like to capitalize on the pineapple flavor in this drink, add in .5 to 1 oz of pineapple rum.
- Add in pineapple schnapps. Again, if you want a capitalize in the pineapple flavor in this drink, you could add in .5 to 1 oz of pineapple schnapps.
How to make this drink:
All you need to make this easy four ingredient cocktail is 5 minutes or less. Simply toss your ingredients together and give them a good shake.
- 2 oz Coconut Rum
- 1 oz Blue curacao
- 1 oz Pineapple juice
- top with sprite ( 1 – 3 oz)
As you start making this drink, make sure that you have everything you need including rocks glass, jigger, hawthorn strainer and cocktail shaker or bar spoon, ice, coconut rum, blue curacao, pineapple juice, and Sprite.
Pick up your glass and use the ice to fill it almost completely to the top.
note: for the instructions below, we’ll be building this drink directly in the glass. However, you can also build it in the shaker.
If you want to build it in the shaker, add ice to the shaker as well. Measure everything directly to the shaker. Then shake well for around 15 seconds, being careful not to shake two vigorously or the sprite will fizz. Then, pour your drink into your glass.
Grab the coconut rum and measure out 2 oz of it with a jigger. Toss that into the glass.
Grab the blue curaçao. And measure out 1 oz of it with a jigger. Toss that
Grab the pineapple juice and measure out 1 oz of it with the jigger. Toss that into the glass.
Grab the Sprite. Pour it directly into the glass until it’s about topped off. You should end up adding 1-3 oz.
To get this mixed up you have two methods you can use. You can utilize the bar spoon or the shaker.
To use a bar spoon, simply stick it into your glass and give a couple careful stirs.
To use a shaker, carefully toss the ingredients of the glass into the shaker. And then from the shaker back to the glass. Do be cautious with this one otherwise the sprite could fizz up.
Electric Smurf Drink
- Hawthorne strainer
- cocktail shaker
- Rocks glass
- bar spoon
- Gather up the equipment and ingredients listed above.
- Take the ice and dump it into the glass. The ice should almost fill the glass to the top.
- Take the coconut rum. Use the jigger and measure 2 oz of coconut rum. Toss it into the glass. 2 coconut rum; 1 blue curacao and pineapple juice; top with sprite
- Take the blue curacao. Use the jigger and measure 1 oz of blue curacao. Toss it into the glass.
- Take the pineapple juice. Use the jigger and measure 1 oz of pineapple juice. Toss it into the glass.
- Take the sprite. Pour it directly into the glass, topping the glass off. This should be about 1 – 3 oz.
- To mix everything up:1) Stir carefully with a bar spoon; or2) Carefully toss drink into shaker and then from shaker back into glass.
- If you want to add a garnish, try out a pineapple wedge and/or some maraschino cherries.
- Also fill the shaker with ice.
- Measure and pour all ingredient (except Sprite) into shaker.
- Put the shaker top on and shake for 15 – 20 seconds.
- Replace shaker top with strainer and pour into glass.
- Take Sprite and top glass off with it.
- Add garnish if desired.