Occassional Cocktails may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
If you like your shots as sweet as candy, try out this fun dip shot. It’s brightly colored, fruity and fun!
What is a Fun Dip Shot?
A fun dip shot is a combination of Cherry flavored vodka, triple sec, lemon lime soda, grenadine and sour mix. The resulting shot tastes just like cherry fun dip.
Vodka is a clear liquor. It tends to be a neutral tasting liquor unless you get a flavored vodka. The cherry flavored vodka used in this shot is sweet and full of cherry flavor.
Triple sec is an orange flavored liqueur. It is made from a clear base spirit that is steeped in orange peels.
Both the lemon lime soda and the sour mix add a sweet and slightly citrus flavor to the shot. The soda of course adds a little fizzy carbonation as well.
Grenadine is a bright red very sweet syrup. Though it is made of pomegranates, a lot of people like in its flavor to cherry syrup. This ingredient adds both a red color as well as a sweetness to the shot. Grenadine cocktails often times are sweet and brightly colored.
Occasions for this drink
With it’s candy like flavor and bright color, this shot is fun to serve at a variety of different times including:
- Valentine’s Day
- 4th of July parties
If you are looking for ways to change the flavor of this shot up, here are a few ideas:
- Make it grape flavored. To make a grape flavored fun dip substitute the cherry vodka for grape vodka. And, substitute the triple sec for blue curaçao. Which is also an orange liqueur, but is blue colored so that your shot becomes purple.
- Make it watermelon flavored. The watermelon is not one of the most popular fun dip flavors It is a fun dip flavor. Substitute the cherry vodka for watermelon flavored vodka or watermelon pucker.
- Substitute the triple sec. Triple sec is not the only available clear orange flavored liqueur. You could use Cointreau or Grand Marnier in place of it.
- Make your own sour mix. So you can purchase our mix at the store, you can also make your own with a little lemon juice and simple syrup.
- Use actual fun dip. choose your favorite flavor and mix it with simple syrup, lemon lime soda and regular vodka or a matching flavored vodka. You don’t need the triple sec or grenadine if you use an actual package of fundip.
How to make this drink:
This shot is so easy to mix up. Simply dump your five ingredients in the shaker and shake them up. You can have it ready in under five minutes.
- 1.5 oz cherry Vodka
- .75 sour mix
- .25 oz triple sec
- .25 oz of Grenadine
- splash of sprite
Make sure you have everything you need to make this shot including shot glass, shaker, Hawthorne strainer, jigger, ice, cherry vodka, sour mix, triple sec, grenadine, Sprite.
Take your cocktail shaker and fill it up with ice. It should be filled almost completely to the top.
Take your cherry vodka and your jigger. Measure out 1.5 oz of cherry vodka with the jigger and toss it into the shaker.
Take your sour mix and your jigger. Measure out 0.75 oz of sour mix with the jigger and toss it into the shaker.
Take the triple sec and the jigger. Measure out 0.25 oz of triple sec with the jigger and toss it into the shaker.
Take the grenadine and the jigger. Measure out 0.25 oz of grenadine with a jigger and toss it into the shaker.
Take the lemon lime soda and add a splash of it directly into the shaker. If you’d like to measure it out, it’s around .25 oz give or take a little.
Grab up the lid of the cocktail shaker and place it over top of the shaker. Shake well for around 15 seconds.
You want the shaker to get cold to the touch. However, do be cautious that you don’t shake two vigorously as the soda can fizz.
Garnishes on this one are totally optional. However, if you’d like to add one you could add a sugar rim or a rim of fun dip.
To do either, take an ice cube and run it around the rim of the shot glass. Lay a thin layer of sugar or fun dip on a saucer. Then place the wet rim of the shot glass down into the layer and rock it back and forth until the rim is coated.
Replace the cocktail shaker lid with the Hawthorne strainer. Then, strain your shot from the shaker into your shot glass. Kick back and enjoy!
Fun Dip Shot
- Hawthorne strainer
- cocktail shaker
- shot glass
- 1.5 oz Cherry Vodka
- .75 oz Sour Mix
- .25 oz Triple Sec
- .25 oz Grenadine
- splash Sprite
- Toss ice into your shaker so it is about full to the top.
- Measure out 1.5 oz of cherry vodka with the jigger and pour that into the shaker.
- Measure out .75 oz of sour mix and pour that into the shaker.
- Measure out .25 oz of triple sec and pour that into the shaker.
- Measure out .25 oz of grenadine and pour that into the shaker.
- Grab the sprite and put a splash or two straight into the shaker.
- Grab the shaker top and cover the shaker with it.
- Shake things well until the shaker gets cold to the touch.
- Grab the strainer and replace the shaker top with it.
- Pour your shot into the glass.