If you are a fan of sweetheart candy as a kid then you should try out equally delicious sweet tart shot. This shot can be made in a variety of different colors and flavors simply by switching out a few ingredients.
What is a Sweet Tart Shot?
A sweet tart shot is a type of shot that tastes sort of like the sweet tart candy. This shot not surprisingly has a sweet flavor with a very tart zing on the back end.
For this variation we used vodka, sweet and sour mix and sour apple schnapps. However you can switch out some ingredients which will list variations below to get different flavors and colors of sweet tart.
We like to use vodka as the base liquor and our sweet tart shot simply because vodka is clear so you can affect the color with your other liqueurs that you add. Additionally, vodka is a rather tasteless liquor that simply has an alcohol bite as it goes down so it doesn’t influence the overall taste of the drink much which means that you can use different schnapps or other liqueurs to flavor your shot.
Sweet and sour mix is the other must have ingredient for a sweet tart shot. It has both some added sweetness to the shot as well as a strong citrus tart zing which really helps to bring that sweet tart candy flavor into your drink.
When to mix this shot
This colorful and flavorful shot is super fun to use at some of the following occasions:
- after dinner shooters
- Valentine’s Day or other holidays that have a specific color associated just pick the specific shop variation that matches the color of the holiday
- informal get togethers
- college parties
- summer celebrations
As mentioned above you can make a variety of different flavors of sweet tart shot. All of them will have the base of vodka and sour mix. However, if you’d like to mix up the flavors here are a couple different varieties to try:
- Cherry or red sweet tart. Swap out your regular vodka for some cherry vodka and swap out the sour apple schnapps for some grenadine to have a red cherry flavored shot.
- Purple or grape sweet tart. Switch out the sour apple schnapps and use grape schnapps to have a purple and grape flavored shot.
- Blue or blue punch. Switch out the sour apple schnapps for blue curaçao for a blue colored shot. In this one to get the punch flavor you could also use a berry flavored vodka instead of regular vodka.
How to make this drink:
This three ingredient shot is super easy to make. The hardest part about this shot is deciding what color and flavor you want to try. You can whip this up in 3 minutes or less.
- .5 oz vodka
- .5 oz sour apple schnapps (can swap out for other flavors like blue curacao or grape schnapps)
- .5 oz sweet and sour mix
- (optional) top with sprite
Start out by making sure you have all the ingredients you need including vodka, sour apple schnapps or whatever flavor you want, sour mix and ice.
Grab your ice and fill your cocktail shaker almost to the top with it.
Grab your jigger and use it to measure
.5 oz of vodka. Then, dump your vodka into your cocktail shaker.
Grab your jigger and use it to measure 0.5 oz of green apple schnapps. Then, dump your green apple schnapps into your cocktail shaker with your vodka and ice.
Note: If you wanted a different color or flavor sweet tart shot this is the step you would substitute a different liqueur and for such as blue curacao, grenadine or grape schnapps.
Grab your jigger and use it to measure .5 oz of sweet and sour mix. Then, dump your sweet and sour mix into your cocktail shaker with your green apple schnapps, vodka and ice.
Pop the top onto your cocktail shaker and shake everything together well. Just typically takes around 15 to 30 seconds or until the outside of the cocktail shaker is cold to the touch.
Next, go ahead and take the top off your cocktail shaker and replace it with your Hawthorne strainer. Then, pour your shot from your shaker into your shot glass. With that, your shot is ready to enjoy!
Note: If you want to add a little extra sweet tangy flavor and a little fizz to your shot, top the shot glass off with just a small splash of lemon lime soda.
Sweet Tart Shot
- Hawthorne strainer
- cocktail shaker
- shot glass
- .5 oz Vodka
- .5 oz sour apple schnapps can swap out for other flavors: blue curacao or grape schnapps
- .5 oz sweet and sour mix
- Get all of you ingredients and equipment together.
- Fill up your cocktail shaker with ice.
- Use your jigger and measure .5 oz of vodka. Toss that into your shaker.
- Use your jigger and measure .5 oz of sour apple schnapps. Toss that into your shaker.
- Use your jigger and measure .5 oz of sweet and sour mix. Toss that into your shaker.
- Put the top on the shaker and shake well. The outside of the shaker should be cold to the touch.
- Replace the top with the hawthorne strainer and pour your drink from the shaker into the shot glass.