Occassional Cocktails may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
Whip up this swedish fish shot If you’re looking for an easy to make drink with a light and fruity flavor. This one is refreshing and sweet making it perfect for spring and summer occasions.
What is a Swedish Fish Shot?
A swedish fish shot is a combination of blackberry schnapps, vodka, cranberry juice and triple sec. The resulting shot is a light pink color and it’s lightly sweet with a berry flavor (which is reminiscent of the swedish fish candy).
The vodka in this shot is not particularly noticeable. Vodka is well known for having a very neutral flavor which allows the other ingredients to stand out. Vodka in the shot is really used to amp up the alcohol content.
Triple sec is a clear liqueur. It is a neutral base spirit that is infused with orange peels. It has a sweet orange flavor.
Make sure to choose a cranberry juice that is no sugar added. Also, it’s important to get a pure cranberry juice and not a cranberry juice cocktail so you get that true tart cranberry flavor.
Blackberry schnapps is a fruity flavored schnapps. Schnapps itself is a clear base spirit. To get blackberry schnapps you infuse it with sweet blackberry flavor.
When to Make This Drink:
This shot is versatile due to its light flavor and pretty pink color. It works well to be served at a variety of occasions such as:
- holiday parties
- Valentine’s Day
- bachelor and bachelorette parties
- after dinner drinks
If you’d like to change the shot up a little, but still maintain the similar flavor, here are a few things to try:
- Substitute the triple sec. There are other orange liqueurs that you can use including Grand Marnier and Cointreau.
- Use a flavored vodka. Try out cranberry vodka or strawberry vodka in this shot to give a little stronger fruit flavor.
- Make it a martini or cocktail. Multiply all the ingredients by two and serve in a martini glass or rocks glass if you want this to be a sipping cocktail instead of a shot.
How to make this drink:
This shot is super easy to me. You only need to toss your four simple ingredients together and mix them up.
- 1 oz Blackbery schnapps
- .5 oz Vodka
- .25 oz Cranberry Juice
- .25 oz Triple sec
Get started by making sure you’ve gathered up everything necessary for this shot including shot glass, jigger, hawthorn strainer, cocktail shaker, blackberry schnapps, vodka, triple sec, ice and cranberry juice.
Grab your cocktail shaker and your ice. Toss some ice into the shaker until it is almost full.
Take your blackberry schnapps. Use your jigger and measure one ounce of blackberry schnapps and dump it into the shaker.
Take the vodka. Use your jigger and measure 0.5 oz of vodka and dump it into the shaker.
Take the cranberry juice. Use the jigger and measure 0.25 oz of cranberry juice and dump it into the shaker.
Take the triple sec. Use the jigger and measure point to 5 oz of triple sec and dump it into the shaker.
Take the shaker top and place it over top of the shaker. Shake well until the outside of the shaker is cool to the touch. Usually this takes around 15 to 20 seconds.
Replace the shaker top with the Hawthorne strainer. Carefully pour your drink from the shaker into the shot glass. Enjoy!
Swedish Fish Shot
- Hawthorne strainer
- cocktail shaker
- shot glass
- Start out by gathering up everything you need to make the shot.
- Toss some ice into the cocktail shaker. The shaker should be filled to the top.
- Grab the jigger and measure 1 oz of blackbery schnapps. Dump that into the jigger.
- Grab the jigger and measure .5 oz of vodka. Dump that into the jigger.
- Grab the jigger and measure .25 oz of cranberry juice. Dump that into the jigger.
- Grab the jigger and measure .25 oz of triple sec. Dump that into the jigger.
- Grab the shaker lid and cover the shaker with it.
- Shake it up for around 15 – 20 seconds.
- Replace the lid with the strainer.
- Pour your shot into the glass.