If you’re looking for a classic, easy to make no frills cocktail, then you should try out the godfather cocktail. This simple two ingredient cocktail mixes up Scotch whiskey and amaretto for a lovely sipper.
What is a Godfather Cocktail?
A godfather cocktail is a combination of equal parts amaretto and Scotch whiskey that is typically served over ice in a rocks glass. This cocktail has the smoky, spicy and oaky notes from the scotch which are nicely blended into a sweet cherry flavor with a little nuttiness.
Legend has it this drink was created in the 1970s and named in reverence to the movie The Godfather. However, there isn’t a really good solid history to prove this one way or the other.
When choosing a scotch you can use either blended Scotch or a single malt scotch. We like to opt for a blended scotch in this drink. One of our go-to brands is Dewars. But, you can choose any brand and type you like. If you like a plain scotch, also try this scotch on the rocks.
The amaretto in this cocktail brings a nice sweetness to smooth out some of the spiciness of the Scotch. Amaretto itself is a almond flavor liqueur that has hints of cherry. If you like Amaretto by itself, try this Amaretto on the rocks or a Sicilian kiss shot which has a strong amaretto flavor..
When to Make This Drink:
The simple elegance of the strength makes it well suited to serve at times including:
- A nightcap
- Cocktail hour
- After dinner drinks
- Drinks with dinner
With only two ingredients, there isn’t a lot to vary in this drink. However, here are a few ideas:
- Change the proportions. The traditional version of this drink uses equal proportions of Scotch and amaretto and you can certainly use that.
- Play with different scotches. Different scotches have different flavor profiles. So, you might want to try a few different types and brands to see what you prefer the most.
How to make this drink:
This one is so simple to mix up all you have to do is toss your ingredients in a glass and give them a stir. If you’ve got two minutes and you have enough time to get this one ready.
- 1.5 oz Scotch
- .5 Amaretto
Go ahead and grab everything you need to make this cocktail including Scotch, amaretto, bar spoon, rocks glass, jigger and ice.
Grab up a handful or so of ice and toss it into the rocks glass so that the glass is filled to the top.
Measure out 1.5 oz of Scotch using the jigger. Then, dump it into the glass.
Measure out 0.5 oz of amaretto using the jigger. Then, dump it into the glass.
If desired to stir the drink together you can either give it a few stores with the bar spoon or simply swirl the glass a couple times.
- Rocks glass
- 1.5 oz Scotch
- .5 oz Amaretto
- Gather together the necessary items listed in the equipment and ingredient sections above.
- Toss some ice into the rocks glass.
- Pick up the Scotch and jigger. Use the jigger to measure 1.5 oz of Scotch. Toss that into the glass.
- Pick up the amaretto and jigger. Use the jigger to measure .5 oz of amaretto. Toss that into the glass.
- Give the glass a few careful swirls, or use a bar spoon to give a stir or two.
- Add ice to a cocktail shaker as well as the glass.
- Measure ingredients into the shaker.
- Pop the top on the shaker and shake for 15 seconds.
- Remove the shaker top and pour into the glass.