Sit back and enjoy the timeless elegance of an amaretto on the rocks. This classic and sophisticated drink allows you to enjoy the smooth and nutty flavors of pure amaretto liqueur. Each sip will have you savoring the almond and cherry flavors of this liqueur.
🥃 What is a Amaretto on the Rocks?
An amaretto on the rocks is a straightforward and easy to make drink where you simply pour a shot of amaretto into a rocks glass filled with ice cubes. This allows you to really enjoy the balanced and smooth flavors of the amaretto. Which include slight bitterness, cherry and almond flavors.
If you like the taste of straight Amaretto, you might also try this godfather cocktail with just adds a touch of Scotch in as well.
Any cocktail served on the rocks simply means that it is served with ice. There are lots of liquors or liqueurs that are enjoyed this way such as scotch on the rocks, brandy on the rocks or rum on the rocks.
Serving it with ice serves two purposes. First, it allows the drink to get chilled. And, secondly as the ice melts it helps to dilute the liquor a little.
Here are just a few of the reasons why you should consider adding this cocktail to your repertoire:
- Simplicity. This drink is super simple. It allows you to just enjoy and save her the full range of flavors that make up amaretto liqueur.
- Easy to make. There’s not much easier than adding a shot of liquor into a glass with ice. You can have this drink made and under two minutes. You don’t even need to shake or stir anything.
- Perfect for anytime. This classic and easy to make drink is perfect for serving at most any occasion from casual to formal. It is well suited for anytime sipping.
⭐ When to Make This Drink
This versatile and easy to make drink can be served up most any time. If you’re looking for a few suggestions, check these out:
- After dinner drinks
- Cocktail hour
- Game night
There isn’t much in the way of ingredients substitutions or variations for this cocktail. But, here are two ideas to spice it up:
- Add a little water. Though, amaretto itself is not as strong as other liquors which are sometimes served on the rocks, you can still add a little splash of water if you would like to dilute it some.
- Use high quality ice cubes. Use a large clear ice cube or round craft ice so that your ice will melt at a slower speed.
- Add a garnish. It’s nice to add a little pop of color and a little bit of extra flavor to the drink by adding a maraschino cherry.
- 2 oz Amaretto
- (optional) lemon or lime wedge
Get started by gathering everything you need for this drink including rocks glass, ice, jigger and amaretto.
Toss enough ice into your rocks glass so that it is completely filled up to the brim.
Take your jigger and carefully measure out 2 oz of amaretto.
Pick the jigger up and pour the amaretto into the rocks glass over the ice.
Amaretto on the Rocks
- Rocks glass
- 2 oz Amaretto
- Take a handful of ice and add it to the rocks glass.
- Take the jigger and measure 2 oz of Amaretto. Pour that into the glass.
- If you want to add a garnish:1) Slice a lemon into wedges.2) Cut a notch in the pulp of one wedge and place it on the rim of the glass.
- Give the drink a little swirl and sip.