Occassional Cocktails may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
If you love tequila and hot coffee then this Mexican spiced coffee is a must try. This warm cocktail is super easy to make and full of sweet caffeine.
What is a Mexican Spiked Coffee?
A Mexican spiked coffee is a combination of hot coffee, tequila and Kahlua. It is a warm drink that tastes like a coffee that has sugar added and has a little bite of tequila as it goes down.
Don’t confuse this Mexican coffee with the carajillo drink which is sometimes called a Mexican spiked coffee.
Tequila is the main alcohol-based ingredient in this drink. Tequila itself really has a light sweet and sometimes spicy flavor. It basically lends alcohol and a little bite to the cocktail.
Kahlua is a very strong coffee flavored liqueur that also has an intense sweetness. It’s made from arabica coffee beans, rum and sugar. It helps to sweeten up this cocktail.
You can brew your coffee with whatever your favorite method is. We recommend to brew a strong cup that is based on a high quality coffee bean. Though we really prefer an unflavored coffee, you can use flavored coffee if you want to vary the taste of the drink.
When to Make This Drink:
With its warm sweetness, you might think about serving this cocktail at times such as:
- after dinner drinks
- Fall get togethers
- winter holidays
If you’d like to try out some different variations of this drink, test out one of these ideas:
- Add more or less tequila. Depending on how much liquor content you want in your drink, you could go up to 2 oz of tequila or down to half an ounce.
- Add a sweet garnish. Put a large dollop of whipped cream on top of your drink for a little extra sweet and creaminess.
- Make it iced. Cool your coffee off and add some ice to your glass for an iced coffee drink. Or, you could even cool the coffee and then blend everything together with ice for a frozen drink.
- Add a little citrus. You may know that tequila and orange liqueur go hand in hand since they’re used in margaritas. Add a little triple sec, Grand Marnier or Cointreau for a little citrus twist in your coffee. Add a little triple sec, Grand Marnier or Cointreau for a little citrus twist in your coffee.
- Make it creamy. Add some heavy cream, half and half or even Irish cream to add a little extra sweet creaminess to the drink.
How to make this drink:
The only thing that takes any sort of real time to make when it comes to this drink is brewing the coffee. Once your coffee is ready all you have to do is toss everything in your mug and give it a stir.
- 1 oz Tequila
- 1 oz Kahlua
- 4 – 5 oz Coffee
As you get started make sure you’re ready with your tequila, Kahlua, hot coffee, rocks glass or coffee mug, jigger and bar spoon (if desired).
Grab your favorite coffee beans and brew yourself a cup of coffee using your favorite brewing method.
Grab your tequila. Measure up 1 oz of tequila with a jigger and then toss it into the glass.
Grab your Kahlua. Measure up 1 oz of Kahlua with the jigger and then toss it into the glass with the tequila.
Grab your coffee. Measure out 4 to 5 oz with the jigger and then toss it into the glass.
Alternatively, you can simply pour the coffee straight into the glass until the glass is filled to the top.
If desired, use your bar spoon to give everything a good stir and then enjoy!
Mexican Spiked Coffee
- Rocks glass
- 1 oz Tequila
- 1 oz Kahlua
- 4 – 5 oz Hot Coffee
- Get your coffee brewed using your preferred brewing method.
- Use the jigger to measure 1 oz of tequila. Dump the tequila into the glass.
- Use the jigger to measure 1 oz of kahlua. Dump the kahlua into the glass.
- Use the jigger to measure 4 – 5 oz of hot coffee. Dump the coffee into the glass.pro tip: instead of using the jigger to measure, you can just pour the coffee directly into the glass topping it off.