Occassional Cocktails may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
The mind eraser shot can be served as a shot or cocktail. It is an easy three ingredient drink that is full of coffee flavor. So, if you like coffee and easy to make drinks try this one out.
What is a Minderaser Shot?
A mind eraser shot is typically a layered shot made of equal parts Kahlua, vodka and club soda. The shot is typically quickly drank through a straw and when doing so you mostly just taste the Kahlua so it tastes essentially like coffee.
A layered shot simply means that the ingredients are not stirred together. Instead, they sit one on top of the other and you can see a clear line where each starts and stops.
Layering is made possible by liquids having different densities. Heavier liquids will sit on the bottom and later liquids will sit on the top. Though layering looks fancy, it is not too difficult to do. The main key is to go very slow when pouring the liquid.
This shot is very similar to a black Russian. It just has one extra ingredient, club soda. And it is taken, or drank in a different way.
Kahlua originated in Mexico. It is made from sugar, rum and arabica coffee beans. It is a dark colored, very sweet coffee flavored liqueur.
Vodka is a clear liquor. It is almost tasteless and flavor. It is commonly added to drinks when you want to ramp up the alcoholic content or have a little bite, but allow the other ingredients to shine through.
When to Make This Drink:
This drink is a fun drink to serve at a multitude of different times such as:
- super bowl party
- Informal get togethers
- New Year’s Eve
- college parties
If you’re looking for a few ways to change this drink up, try some of these out:
- Substitute the Kahlua. Kahlua is one of the more well-known coffee liqueurs. However, there are other coffee liqueurs you can substitute for it such as Tia Maria.
- Use a lemon lime soda or ginger ale. Club soda is typically used to top this drink off. However, if you like a little bit of a sweeter shot, you can use something like lemon lime soda or ginger ale.
- Shake It up. This shot is usually served layered. However, some people prefer it shaken together. You can certainly serve it that way as well. Do make sure to be cautious when you shake it so that the soda doesn’t fizz up.
- Make it a cocktail. If you’d like to have a larger drink to sip on instead of a shot, you can make a mind eraser cocktail. To do this simply add 2 oz of each ingredient instead of one into a rocks glass instead of a shot glass.
How to make this drink:
You should be able to get this shot together in about 5 minutes or less. Though you only need three ingredients, the layering of the ingredients does take a little time.
- .5 oz Kahlua
- .5 oz Vodka
- .5 oz Club soda
Begin getting everything together including Kahlua, vodka, club soda, sugar, bar spoon and shot glass.
Use your jigger to measure .5 oz of Kahlua. Then, pour the Kahlua into the bottom of the shot glass.
Use the jigger to measure .5 oz of vodka. Then, take your bar spoon and place it upside down just over the top of the Kahlua.
Very carefully pour the vodka over the back of the bar spoon into the shot glass. It should sit on top of the Kahlua.
Use a jigger to measure 0.5 oz of club soda. Then, take your bar spoon and place it upside down just over the top of the vodka.
Very carefully pour the club soda over the back of the bar spoon into the shot glass. It should sit on top of the vodka.
Though you can simply kick this shop back. A lot of people prefer to sip this one quickly with a straw.
Use a metal straw and insert it into the bottom of the shot glass so that it is sitting in the Kahlua. Quickly suck the entire shot down through the straw.
- bar spoon
- shot glass
- metal Straw
- .5 oz Kahlua
- .5 oz Vodka
- .5 oz Club Soda
- Gather up the ingredients and equipment.
- Measure out .5 of of Kahlua with a jigger. Pour it into the shot glass.
- Measure out .5 oz of Vodka with a jigger.
- Place a bar spoon upside down just above the kahlua. Slowly pour the vodka into the shot glass over the bar spoon so it lays on top of the kahlua.
- Measure out .5 oz of Club soda with a jigger.
- Place a bar spoon upside down just above the vodka. Slowly pour the club soda into the shot glass so it lays on top of the vodka.
- Put the metal straw down into the bottom of the shot glass and take the shot.