Occassional Cocktails may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
Try out this classic black Russian cocktail the next time you want some after dinner drinks or an easy to make cocktail to sip. This coffee infused cocktail is sure to be a hit.
What is a Black Russian?
A black Russian cocktail is made of 2 oz of vodka and 1 oz of Kahlua served in a rocks glass with ice. It is an easy to make two ingredient cocktail that has a strong coffee flavor with a bite vodka mixed in.
This cocktail is considered a classic cocktail which dates back to the 1940s. It likely gets its name due to the fact that it is a dark rich black color from the Kahlua and vodka is typically associated with Russia.
Kahlua is a dark colored liqueur that is made in Mexico. It is made from sugar, rum and arabica coffee beans. It has a sweet and very strong coffee flavor.
Vodka is a clear liquor. It is known for having a rather neutral flavor and a strong alcohol bite. It is made from fermenting grains such as rye or even potatoes and then distilling that mash.
When to Make This Drink:
This drink is so easy to make and has a nice sipping flavor. It is well suited for occasions such as:
- after dinner drinks
- dinner parties
- winter holidays
A black Russian is a an IBA standard cocktail. Which means that it has set ingredients and amounts. However, there are several spins on this cocktail that are also popular:
- Pink Russian. This cocktail adds a little tequila Rose for a light pink strawberry flavored drink.
- Peanut butter White Russian. This cocktail adds cream and peanut butter whiskey for a creamy nutty flavored drink.
- White Russian. This cocktail adds a layer of heavy cream on top of the Kahlua and vodka for a little sweetness and cream.
- Colorado bulldog. This cocktail adds a splash of Coke for a little bit of spicy fizzy flavor.
How to make this drink:
This drink is so easy to make. You only need to toss your two ingredients and your rocks glass and stir them up.
- 2 oz Vodka
- 1 oz Kahlua
- Optional Cherry garnish
Start out by gathering up your jigger, rocks glass, bar spoon, Kahlua, vodka and ice.
Take your ice and toss it into your rocks glass. The glass should be filled to the top with ice.
Note: this cocktail is typically built directly in the glass and simply stirred with a spoon. However, if you like a really cold drink, you can mix this in a cocktail shaker.
To mix it in the shaker you would also add ice to the shaker. Then, you would pour your ingredients directly into the shaker. Put the top on the shaker and shake well before straining into your glass.
Take your jigger and your vodka. Measure out 2 oz of vodka and toss it over the ice in the glass.
Take the jigger and Kahlua. Measure out 1 oz of Kahlua and toss it over the ice with the vodka into the glass.
Grab your bar spoon. Place it into the glass and give your drink a couple good stirs to ensure that it is well mixed.
If you’d like to add an optional garnish, now is the time to do so. Toss a maraschino cherry or two on top of your drink and enjoy.
Black Russian Cocktail
- bar spoon
- Rocks glass
- 2 oz Vodka
- 1 oz Kahlua
- Maraschino Cherry optional garnish
- Gather together all the necessary ingredients and equipment for this drink.
- Grab some ice and place it into the glass. The glass should be filled to the top with ice.
- Take the vodka. Measure out 2 oz of vodka with the jigger. Dump that into the glass.
- Take the Kahlua. Measure out 1 oz of Kahlua with the jigger. Dump that into the glass.
- Take the bar spoon and place it in the glass. Give it a few stirs so that your drink is well combined.
- If you'd like to add an optional garnish, toss a few maraschino cherries on top.
- Fill the shaker up with ice.
- Dump all ingredients directly into the shaker.
- Put the shaker lid on and shake well.
- Remove the shaker lid and put the strainer on the shaker.
- Pour the drink into the glass.