Occassional Cocktails may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
If you love peanut butter cups and dessert drinks, then you must try this peanut butter cup martini. This cocktail is packed full of chocolate peanut butter sweetness you are sure to love.
What is a Peanut Butter Cup Martini?
A peanut butter cut martini is it combination of peanut butter whiskey, chocolate liqueur and heavy cream with chocolate syrup and peanut butter cup for garnish. This martini is a sweet, creamy and rich drink that is filled with chocolate and peanut butter flavors.
Peanut butter whiskey is actually considered a whiskey liqueur due to the fact that it has a slightly lower alcohol by volume than regular whiskey. It is made by taking whiskey and infusing it with peanut and sugar flavors. The resulting liqueur is sweet, smooth with a nutty and lightly salty flavor.
Chocolate liqueur is essentially a relatively neutral base spirit such as vodka that is then infused with a chocolate flavor. Depending on the brand and type some chocolate liqueurs are creamy, some are dark and some are clear. Chocolate liqueur is also sometimes known as creme de cacao.
The heavy cream in this drink helps to add to the sweetness and thickness and creaminess of the cocktail. Heavy cream itself is essentially the fat or cream that sits on top of milk.
When to serve this drink
If you’re wondering the best times or occasions to serve this drink up, try out some of these:
If you would like to change this drink up a little, here are a few ways to do so:
- Use a different peanut butter whiskey. There are a whole variety of different peanut butter whiskeys available. But they all have the same basic flavor, their flavor profiles do vary a little from brand to brand. You can try skrewball, skatterbrain or bird dog to name a few.
- Change up the heavy cream. Heavy cream is best to use in this drink because it is super thick and sweet. However, you could use half and half or milk in this recipe. Or, if you want of dairy-free version you could try something like oat milk. Just be aware that the resulting cocktail may be slightly less creamy.
- Use a different chocolate liqueur. For this recipe we used Godiva which is a creamy dark chocolate liqueur. However, you can use something like light or dark creme de cacao and you’ll get a similar chocolate flavor.
- Use vodka instead of whiskey. Though we’ve used whiskey is the main liquor in this martini. You can make a vodka base to drink by using peanut butter flavored vodka or infusing your own vodka with peanut butter cups.
How to make this drink:
This drink can be shaken up in 3 or 4 minutes. You only need three simple ingredients and a little bit chocolate syrup drizzle in your glass. Simply toss your ingredients in your shaker and you’re ready to go.
- 3 oz Peanut Butter whiskey
- 1.5 oz chocolate liqueur
- 1 oz heavy cream
- garnish: chocolate syrup
- garnish: Peanut Butter Cup
Get started by making sure you have everything you need to make this drink including ice, cocktail shaker, Hawthorne strainer, jigger, Martini glass, peanut butter whiskey, chocolate liqueur, chocolate syrup, heavy cream and a peanut butter cup if desired for garnish.
Grab your martini glass and stick it into the freezer so that it can chill. Then, use your ice and fill your cocktail shaker almost to the top with it.
Pick up your peanut butter whiskey. Using your jigger measure out 3 oz of peanut butter whiskey and then toss it into the shaker.
Pick up your chocolate liqueur. Using your jigger, measure out 1.5 oz of chocolate liqueur and toss it into the shaker with the peanut butter whiskey.
Pick up the heavy cream. Using your jigger, measure out 1 oz of heavy cream and toss it in a shaker with a chocolate liqueur and peanut butter whiskey.
Get your drink shaken up. Place the lid on top of your cocktail shaker and shake it well. This should take around 15 seconds or until the outside of the shaker is cold to touch.
Remove your martini glass from the freezer. Then, take your chocolate syrup and tip the glass sideways. Slowly drizzle the chocolate syrup around the inside of the glass as you rotate it.
Remove the lid from the shaker and place the Hawthorne strainer over top of the shaker. Then, pour your martini from your shaker into your glass.
If desired add a peanut butter cup to the rim of the glass and then enjoy!
Peanut Butter Cup Martini
- Hawthorne strainer
- cocktail shaker
- Martini glass
- 3 oz Peanut Butter Whiskey
- 1.5 oz Chocolate Liqueur
- 1 oz Heavy Cream
- Chocolate Syrup optional garnish
- Peanut Butter Cup optional garnish
- Stick your martini glass into the freezer to chill it.
- Fill the cocktail shaker full with ice.
- Using the jigger, measure out 3 oz of Peanut Butter whiskey. Pour that into the shaker.
- Using the jigger, measure out 1.5 oz of chocolate liqueur. Pour that into the shaker.
- Using the jigger, measure out 1 oz of heavy cream. Pour that into the shaker.
- Stick the shaker lid on top of the shaker.
- Shake it up until the outside of the shaker is cold and icy to touch.
- Remove the martini glass from the freezer.
- Take the chocolate syrup and drizzle it around the inside of the martini glass.
- Remove the shaker lid and put the hawthorne strainer over top of the shaker.
- Pour the drink from the shaker into the glass.
- Add a peanut butter cup to the rim if desired.