Occassional Cocktails may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
If you love fun named and brightly colored drinks, then try out this purple gecko shot. This shot is easy to make, festive and has a sweet citrus flavor.
What is a Purple Gecko Shot?
A purple gecko shot is a combination of tequila, lime juice, blue curaçao, cranberry juice and sweet and sour mix. Sometimes red or orange curaçao is also used. The resulting shot is a deep purple color and tastes similar to a cranberry margarita.
Tequila is a liquor that is made from distilling the blue agave plant. It originated in Mexico. It has a lightly sweet and spicy favor.
There are several variations of tequila including silver and gold. Silver is commonly used in this drink so that it will not affect the color.
Blue curacao is a bright blue liqueur. It is made from steeping bitter orange peels and a base spirit. The resulting liqueur is a sweet and slightly bitter orange flavor.
Sour mix is a combination of lemon juice (or sometimes lime juice) and simple syrup or sugar. You can purchase it in the store pre-made. Pre-made sour mix typically has a neon yellowish color. Or, you can make your own by mixing simple syrup and lemon juice.
For the lime juice and cranberry juice used, you can make your own or you can use store-bought. Fresh is best. With the cranberry, it’s best to make sure you’re using 100% cranberry juice and not a cocktail so you can get the true tart flavor.
Occasions to make this drink
With its bright purple flavor and sweet and sour taste, this cocktail is best served out of a variety of times such as:
- sports celebrations
If you’re looking for a few ways you can change this drink up, try some of these out:
- Make your own sour mix. Store bought sour mix works just fine, but if you want fresh sour mix try making your own.
- Use a different color curaçao. There are red and orange curacaos and addition to blue. You can add a little orange or red and still get a purple colored drink. All curacaos have the same orange flavor.
- Garnish it up. Add a salt rim and a lime wedge to really hone in on the margarita like flavor.add a salt rim and a lime wedge to really hone in on the margarita like flavor.
- Make it a drink. The instructions below are for two shots worth. However, you can make this as a cocktail in a rocks glass.
How to make this drink:
This shot is super easy to make. It does have a handful of ingredients, but you should be able to whip this up in 5 minutes or less. Toss everything in your cocktail shaker, give it a good shake and you’re ready to serve.
- 1.5 oz tequila
- .5 oz blue curacao (can also add red or orange curacao)
- .5 oz lime juice
- 1 oz cranberry juice
- 1 oz sweet and sour mix
Start out by making sure you have everything necessary to make this drink including jigger, cocktail shaker, Hawthorne strainer, ice, tequila, blue curaçao, lime juice, cranberry juice and sour mix.
Note: The amount above will make two shots. If you want only one shot cut all the ingredients in half.
Additionally, if you prefer to sip your drink, you can make the full amounts above and put it as one drink in a rocks glass.
Take your ice and your cocktail shaker. Place your ice in your cocktail shaker until it is filled almost to the top.
Grab your jigger and your tequila. Use your jigger and measure out 1.5 oz of tequila. Then, pour it into your shaker.
Grab your jigger and your cranberry juice. Use your jigger and measure out 1 oz of cranberry juice. Then, pour it into your shaker.
Grab your jigger in your sour mix. Use your jigger and measure out 1 oz of sour mix. Then, pour it into your shaker.
Grab your jigger and your lime juice. Use your jigger and measure out 0.5 oz of lime juice. Then pour it into your shaker.
Grab your jigger and your blue curaçao. Use your jigger and measure out 0.5 oz of blue curacao. Then, pour it into your shaker.
Get everything shaken well by placing the lid on your cocktail shaker. Then shake it up for around 15 to 20 seconds. The outside of the shaker should be icy and cold to the touch.
If you would like to rim and garnish or shot glass now is the time to do so. Spread some salt on a saucer. Take an ice cube or your lime wedge and run it on the edge of your shot glass.
Then, turn the shot glass upside down on your saucer of salt and rock it back and forth so the salt sticks to the rim.
If you want to add a lime wedge, take a lime and cut it into slices. Then, take one slice and cut a small notch in the pulp and use that notch to secure it on the rim of the glass.
Finally, remove the lid from your cocktail shaker. Place the Hawthorne strainer across the top of the shaker and then strain your drink into your shot glasses.
Purple Gecko Shot
- Hawthorne strainer
- cocktail shaker
- shot glass
- 1.5 oz Tequila
- .5 oz Blue Curacao (can also use orange curacao
- .5 oz Lime Juice
- 1 oz Cranberry Juice
- 1 oz Sour Mix
- Toss ice into the shaker. Make sure it is filled almost to the top.
- Grab the tequila. Measure out 1.5 oz with the jigger and dump into the shaker. 1.5 oz tequila.5 oz blue curacao (can also add red or orange curacao).5 oz lime juice1 oz cranberry juice1 oz sweet and sour mix
- Grab the curacao. Measure out .5 oz with the jigger and dump into the shaker.
- Grab the lime juice. Measure out .5 oz with the jigger and dump into the shaker.
- Grab the cranberry juice. Measure out 1 oz with the jigger and dump into the shaker.
- Grab the sour mix. Measure out 1 oz with the jigger and dump into the shaker.
- Grab the shaker lid and place it on top of the shaker.
- Shake it up for around 15 – 20 seconds.
- Grab the strainer and replace the shaker lid with it.
- Pour the drink into the shot glasses.