A rum and soda is a simply, fizzy cocktail that is perfect for sipping on in the summertime. If you are a rum fan, this one is one you must try!
What is a Rum Soda?
A rum and soda tastes like a fizzy rum with a little crisp bite. You can use any type of rum that you prefer: white rum, spiced rum, dark rum or coconut rum.
All rum tends to have a bit of a fruity flavor to it. Depending on which type you use, there might be some added flavors. For example, spiced rum has additional hints of pepper and cinnamon while coconut rum has distinct notes of coconut.
Soda water and club soda are essentially the same thing and can be used interchangeably here. They are both water that has been carbonated (bubbles added to it). The main difference is that one has some minerals added as well. Since they are essentially just fizzy water, they taste like, well, water.
So, when you mix the rum with the soda water, you basically get a drink that tastes like fizzy rum. It is delicious and refreshing. Perfect for hot summer days, BBQ’s or laying out by the pool.
How many calories are in rum and soda?
The amount of calories in rum and soda can be anywhere from 110 – 180 calories. It will vary depending on what type of rum you use. The soda water has 0 calories. Rum can vary from around 50 – 90 calories per ounce. And, there are two ounces of rum in this drink.
How to make this drink:
This is one of the easiest cocktails to make. Simply make sure two ingredients together and give them a stir.
- 2 oz Rum – we like to use spiced rum
- 4 oz Club Soda/Soda Water
- Lime, lemon or orange wedge
Before getting started ensure that you have your glass, bar spoon, jigger and ingredients ready to go.
Grab some ice and fill it in your highball glass.
Get your rum and measure 2 oz of it with your jigger. Then dump that 2 oz over the ice in your highball glass.
Get your club soda and measure 4 oz of it with your jigger. Then dump that 4 oz over the ice and rum in your highball glass.
Take your bar spoon and give your drink a stir. Be careful not to agitate the soda water too much, however, you want to ensure that you do thoroughly mix the two liquids together.
The last step is creating your garnish. Grab a lime and cut it into wedges. Take one at wedge and place it on the rim of your glass.
Pro tip: to get your lime wedge to hold well on your glass simply cut a small notch in either the pulp of the lime if you want to place it horizontally or between the pulp and the peel if you want to place it vertically.
With that you’re ready to start sipping and enjoy!
Rum and Soda
- highball glass
- bar spoon
- 2 oz Rum any kind is fine – we like spiced rum
- 4 oz soda water
- Lemon, Lime or Orange Wedge
- Start by filling your glass with ice.
- Pour 2 oz of rum into your glass by measuring it out with your jigger.
- Pour 4 oz of soda water into your glass by measuring it out with your jigger.(note: if you want to just top the glass off with soda water instead of measuring it out that is fine also)
- Use your bar spoon to give your soda and rum a good stir.
- (optional garnish) Add a Lemon, Lime or Orange wedge to the rim of the glass.To do this, just grab whichever fruit you choose, cut it into slices. Then, cut a notch in one slice either between the pulp and peel or just straight into the pulp. Use that notch to secure the wedge on the rim of the glass.If using spiced rum, lime and orange work best with the flavors.