Occassional Cocktails may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
The whiskey and soda sometimes known as a scotch and soda is a simple, fizzy and flavorful drink. If you are a whiskey lover, you have to give this one a try!
What is a Whiskey and Soda?
Whiskey and soda essentially tastes like a fizzy whiskey drink. It is a very easy to make cocktail with just two simple ingredients. You can whip this one up most any time.
Whiskey is a well rounded liquor. It’s exact taste can vary a little depending on what kind of whiskey you get. There are Irish Whiskeys, Bourbons, Kentucky Whiskey, Tennessee Whiskey and much more. Whiskey has a smooth almost caramel taste to it. The exact notes of flavor depend on what type of barrel and how long it’s aged.
Scotch whiskey, which is used for a scotch and soda tends to have a malty, fruity and smoky taste. It is made from malted barley.
For the purposes of this cocktail, any whiskey will work. We are partial to Wild Turkey, so that’s what we usually use. Those Jameson with it’s triple distilled, really smooth taste would work beautifully as well.
You can use soda water or club soda or seltzer water to make this drink. They are essentially the same thing. The main difference is just which, when and if minerals are added to the carbonated water. Of course, soda water basically is just fizzy water and so it has no real taste. But adds that fizz to any drink
How to make this drink:
This really is a toss and stir cocktail. Anyone can mix this up in just a minute or two.
- 2 oz Whiskey and kind, but Scotch is a favorite for this one
- 4 oz Club Soda or Soda Water
- Lemon or Lime Wedge
Grab your highball glass, jigger and bar spoon as well as your ingredients.
Grab some ice and fill your highball glass to the top.
Pour 2 oz of whiskey (any kind works, Scotch is a favorite) into your highball glass over your ice. You should use your jigger to do the measuring.
Pour 4 oz of soda water into your hypoglass over your ice. You can either use your jigger to measure this or you can basically just top the glass off with soda water.
If you use a little more than 4 oz it will dilute the taste of the whiskey a bit. If you use a little less than 4 oz the whiskey will be a stronger taste.
Take your bar spoon and go ahead and stir your drink together carefully but thoroughly.
A lemon or lime wedge works fine as a garnish for this drink. We prefer a lime wedge.
To make your lime wedge, take a lime and cut it into slices.
Choose one slice and carefully cut a little notch between the peel and the pulp. Use that notch to secure your lime wedge on the side of your glass.
Your drink is ready to enjoy!
Whiskey and Soda
- highball glass
- bar spoon
- 2 oz Whiskey any kind works
- 4 oz Soda Water
- Lime Wedge
- Fill your highball glass full of ice
- Take your jigger and your whiskey and measure 2 oz of whiskey. Then, pour it into your glass with your ice.
- Take your jigger and your soda water and measure 4 oz of soda water. Then, pour it into your glass with your ice and whiskey.note: you don't have to be exact with the soda water, in fact you can just top the glass off with it instead of measuring if you wish.
- Take your bar spoon and stir everything together.
- Optional garnish: lemon or lime wedge.Cut a lemon or lime into slices.Take one slice and cut a notch into the pulp. Then, place it on the rim of the glass.