If you’re looking for a super colorful and fruity flavored shot for your next party, try out this traffic light shot. This layered shot is sure to be a crowd-pleaser with its red, yellow and green colors. It’s fruity flavor is just an added bonus!
What is a Traffic Light Shot?
A traffic light shot is a layered shot with grenadine on the bottom, creme de banana in the middle and Midori on top. The resulting shot is red, yellow and green just like the colors of a traffic light.
In case you aren’t sure what a layered shot is, a layered shot is a cocktail that has each liquor or liqueur sitting on top of each other without mixing together. This is made possible due to the fact that different liquids have different densities. The heaviest densities should be at the bottom with the lightest at the top.
But, the fun layered colors are not the only great thing about the shot. It is also full of sweet fruity flavor.
Grenadine is the red color in the shot. It is a bright red very sweet syrup. It is made of pomegranates and sugar. Due to it’s ability to layer well, grenadine drinks are often times full of brightly colored layers like this shot is.
Creme de banana is a banana flavored liqueur that is yellow in color. There are a few different brands and variations of this banana liqueur all are yellow but some are a creamy liquid while others are not.
The green color in the shot comes from the Midori. Midori is a liqueur that originated in Japan. It has a sweet melon flavor and a bright neon green color. It is made from honeydew and Yubari melons.
Occasions to make this shot
This shot with it’s bright colors as well served at a variety of different occasions including:
- college parties
- sports parties
There aren’t a ton of ways to change this shot up as you need to have the red yellow and green colors in varying densities in order for it to layer properly. However, here are a few things to try:
- Change out the banana liqueur. There are a few other yellow colored liqueurs which should be a correct density to sit in the middle layer. Try out Galliano, gold Alize or yellow chartreuse.
- Use a different banana liqueur. Banana liqueurs are all yellow but some are cream-based and some aren’t. If you want a creamy flavor in your drink try a creamy brand or if you want a straight fruity flavor try something like 99 bananas.
- Make it a flaming Bob Marley shot. Add a floater on the very top of 151 rum and light your shot on fire to make a flaming Bob Marley.
How to make this drink:
With only three easy ingredients, the shot is relatively easy to make. It will take a little bit of a steady hand in patients to make sure that your layers look good. You can get this one with together in about 5 minutes.
- 1 oz Grenadine
- 1 oz Creme De Banana
- 1 oz Midori
Gather up everything necessary to make this drink including a bar spoon, shot glass, jigger, Midori, banana liqueur and grenadine.
Grab your jigger and your grenadine. Use the jigger to measure 1 oz of grenadine. Then, toss that into the bottom of your shot glass.
Grab your jigger and your banana liqueur. Use a jigger to measure 1 ounce of banana liqueur.
Slowly layer the banana liqueur on top of the grenadine by placing a bar spoon upside down just over the top of the grenadine. Then, gently pour the banana liqueur over the back of the bar spoon until you have emptied the jigger into the shot glass.
Grab your jigger and your Midori. Use a jigger to measure 1 oz of Midori.
Slowly layer the Midori on top of the banana liqueur. Do this by placing the bar spoon upside down in the shot glass again this time just over top of the banana liqueur.
Then, gently pour the Midori over the back of the bar spoon until you have emptied the entire jigger into the shot glass.
Traffic Light Shot
- bar spoon
- shot glass
- 1 oz Grenadine
- 1 oz Creme de Banana
- 1 oz Midori
- Take the jigger and measure out 1 oz of Grenadine. Toss the grenadine in the bottom of the shot glass.
- Take the jigger and measure 1 oz of creme de banana.
- Place the bar spoon upside down over the grenadine and slowly pour the creme de banana over the spoon. It should lay on top of the grenadine.
- Take the jigger and measure 1 oz of Midori.
- Place the bar spoon upside down over the creme de banana and slowly pour the midori over the spoon. It should lay on top of the creme de banana.