Occassional Cocktails may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
Does whiskey and squirt go well together? Yes, whiskey and squirt is a refreshing, sweet and fizzy cocktail you are sure to love. This one is perfect for sipping on the porch in the summer or springtime.
What is a whiskey and squirt soda?
Whiskey and squirt soda is an easy to make to ingredient cocktail that has a sweet, fizzy grapefruit flavor mixed with the caramel bite of the whiskey. This cocktail is super refreshing and is a great sipper for the summer time.
Whiskey is a dark colored liquor that is distilled from fermented grains such as barley, rye, corn or wheat. It is then aged in wooden barrels such as oak.
There are many different varieties of whiskey such as Tennessee whiskey, Irish whiskey, Canadian whiskey and Scotch whiskey. Each whiskey has a slightly different flavor profile based on the number of times it’s distilled, the type of grains used, and the type of wooden barrels and length of time it’s aged.
The overall flavor profile of whiskey tends to have caramel and vanilla undertones with hints of smokiness and oak. Any type of whiskey works well in this drink. We like to usually use a bourbon or an Irish whiskey.
Squirt soda is a caffeine-free grapefruit flavored soda. It is full of citrus grapefruit flavor with the typical sweet fizz of soda.
When to serve this cocktail
With how easy and refreshing this cocktail is to make It works well for many occasions such as:
- sipping in the summer or springtime
- casual get togethers
- drinks with brunch
- pool parties
There are a few ways to create some variety in this drink. Here are some options:
- try different whiskeys. Each whiskey has its own flavor profile and can add different flavors to the cocktail. Try out things like Jim beam, Jack Daniels, or even wild turkey.
- Make your own squirt. If you’d like a lighter flavored cocktail or perhaps you can’t find squirt soda. Go ahead and make your own buy mixing up grapefruit juice with soda water. The resulting cocktail will not be quite as sweet as it is if you use true squirt soda.
- add a splash of lime juice. The grapefruit and lime combination is pretty delicious. You can add a little squeeze of lime juice on the top of the cocktail if you want to add a little extra flavor to your drink.
How to make this drink:
This highball cocktail is a simple two ingredient drink. You can whip this one up in just a few minutes.
- 2 oz Whiskey
- 4 oz Squirt Soda
Step one started make sure that you have everything you need to make your drink including squirt soda, whiskey, ice, jigger, bar spoon and highball glass.
Grab your ice and use it to fill your highball glass almost the top.
Get your whiskey and your jigger. Use your jigger and measure 2 oz of whiskey. Then, toss the whiskey into your highball glass with the ice.
Get your squirt soda. Use your jigger and measure 4 oz of squirt soda. Then, toss a squirt soda into your highball glass with the ice.
pro tip: You can skip measuring the squirt soda if you prefer. And simply top your glass off with the squirt soda. If you do this, you will likely end up with slightly more than 4 oz which can lighten the overall whiskey flavor of the drink.
Finally, make sure that everything is mixed well by using your bar spoon and giving your drink a couple good stirs.
If you’d like to add a garnish which is totally optional for this drink you can do so by cutting a lemon or lime or grapefruit wedge. Then cutting a small notch in the pulp and placing it on the rim of the glass.
Whiskey and Squirt
- bar spoon
- highball glass
- 2 oz Whiskey
- 4 oz Squirt Soda
- lemon, lime or grapefruit wedge (optional garnish)
- Get all of your necessary ingredients and equipment gathered up.
- Fill your highball glass almost to the top with ice.
- Garnishes are optional for this one. If you choose to add one, a lemon, lime or grapefruit wedge works well.To make a garnish, simply take your fruit of choice then cut a small wedge from it.Then, cut between the pulp and rind a small cut.Use that cut to secure the wedge on your glass rim.
- Use your jigger and measure 2 oz of whiskey. Then, pour that whiskey into your glass.
- Use your jigger and measure 4 oz of Squirt soda. Then, pour that soda into your glas.
- Place your bar spoon into your glass and stir everything together throughly.