Occassional Cocktails may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
If you’re looking for a creamy delicious cocktail try out the banana cow drink. This cocktail is festive, fun and sweet and perfect for sipping at most any occasion.
What is a Banana Cow Drink?
A banana cow drink is a combination of light rum, creme de banana or banana liqueur, heavy cream, grenadine and is garnished with nutmeg and a slice of banana. The resulting cocktail is reminiscent of banana laffy Taffy with a strong kick of rum.
Light rum is made by distilling sugarcane. It is a clear liquor. It tends to have a very light almost neutral taste that is slightly sweet and sometimes slightly spicy. It is typically unaged.
Creme de banana or banana liqueur is a type of liquor typically made from a neutral spirit. It then is infused with a strong banana flavor and sweetened with sugar or another sweetener. The alcohol by volume or percent alcohol can vary dependent on the brand, but it’s typically a lower percentage around 15%.
Grenadine is a bright red sugary syrup. It is a very sweet syrup that is made with pomegranates. Though some people like in its flavor to cherries.
When to Make This Drink:
This easy four ingredient cocktail is appropriate to serve at a variety of different occasions such as:
- after dinner drinks
- holiday celebrations
- birthday parties
- afternoon cocktails
There are a few ways you can change this drink up such as:
- Substitute banana liqueur. If you don’t have banana liqueur, or perhaps you like a thicker drink, you can substitute banana liqueur for an actual banana and some sugar or simple syrup. You will need to blend the drink in a blender if you choose this route. But, it will still have the same sweet banana flavor.
- Substitute the heavy cream. You can use milk or even half and half instead of the heavy cream if you desire. Just be aware, that heavy cream is a little sweeter and thicker than milk or half and half.
- Go dairy-free. To go dairy-free you would need to use a whole banana and sugar in replacement of the banana liqueur as mentioned above. You would also need to replace the heavy cream with a dairy-free alternative such as oat milk or almond milk.
How to make this drink:
This drink is super easy to make with only four ingredients and a super simple garnish. You should be able to shake this one up in 5 minutes or less.
- 1 oz Light rum
- 1 oz Creme de banana
- 1.5 oz heavy cream
- a few dashes of grenadine
- optional garnish: banana slice
- optional garnish: nutmeg
Start out by making sure you have everything you need in order to make this drink including a cocktail shaker, Hawthorne strainer, Martini glass, banana liqueur, white rum, grenadine, heavy cream, ice, a slice of banana, a jigger and nutmeg.
Grab a couple handfuls of ice and toss them into your cocktail shaker. The shaker should be filled almost to the top with ice.
Use your jigger and measure out 1 oz of banana liqueur. Dump your banana liqueur into the cocktail shaker with the ice.
Use your jigger and measure out 1 oz of white rum. Dump the rum into the cocktail shaker with the banana liqueur and ice.
Use your jigger and measure at 1.5 oz of heavy cream. Dump the heavy cream into the cocktail shaker with the rum, banana liqueur and ice.
Pick up your grenadine and add a few splashes of it straight into the cocktail shaker.
Grab the top of the cocktail shaker and shake it well. It should take about 15 to 20 seconds and the outside of the shaker should be cold to the touch.
Remove the shaker top and replace it with your Hawthorne strainer.
Pour the drink from the shaker into the glass. Then, add your garnishes.
Peel a banana and cut a slice of it. Cut a small notch on the side of the slice to about the middle of the slice. Pop the banana slice on the rim of the glass. Add a few shakes of nutmeg to the top of the drink.
Banana Cow Drink
- Hawthorne strainer
- cocktail shaker
- Martini glass
- 1 oz Light Rum
- 1 oz Creme de banana
- 1.5 oz heavy cream
- Grenadine a few dashes
- Banana Slice optional garnish
- Nutmeg Optional garnish
- Get together all the items needed to make this drink.
- Pop your martini glass into the freezer to chill.
- If using a banana slice garnish, peel the banana. cut a slice from it. Then, cut a small notch in the side of the banana slice.
- Fill your shaker up with ice.
- Using your jigger, measure up 1 oz of Light rum. Then, toss that into the shaker.
- Using your jigger, measure up 1 oz of Creme de Banana. Then, toss that into the shaker.
- Using your jigger, measure up 1.5 oz of Heavy Cream. Then, toss that into the shaker.
- Grab your grenadine and add a few dashes of it into the shaker.
- Remove your martini glass from the freezer and pop the banana slice on the rim.
- Cover the shaker with the lid and shake it up well. Usually about 15 or so seconds.
- Remove the shaker lid and add the strainer on top of the shaker.
- Pour the drink from the shaker into the glass.
- If adding nutmeg as an optional garnish, add a few dashes on top of the drink.