Occassional Cocktails may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
The fluffy duck is a cocktail with a sort of silly name but a big and complex taste. This cocktail is perfect for sipping during dinner’s or other formal occasions.
What is a Fluffy Duck Cocktail?
A fluffy duck cocktail is a combination of gin, advocaat, soda water, orange juice and triple sec. The resulting cocktail sort of looks like eggnog. It has a fizzy botanical taste with a strong citrus twist and a touch of sweetness.
Gin is a liquor which is made from juniper berries. These contribute in almost pine-like flavor. Additionally, Gin has several different herbs and spices added creating a slightly sweet and slightly spicy flavor with undertones such as coriander, licorice and citrus.
Advocaat is a creamy liqueur. The first part of making it is similar to making eggnog. It is a combination of eggs and sugar.
With advocaat a spirit is then added in, this is typically brandy. The resulting liqueur is a thick, creamy, sweet and slightly fruity tasting drink.
Both orange juice and triple sec add to the slightly sweet and robust citrus flavor in this drink. Triple sec is a clear liqueur that is flavored with oranges. It is sweet and citrusy. For the orange juice, is best to use a fresh and pulp free juice. Orange juice with pulp tends to lead to a grainy texture in the drink.
When to Make This Drink:
This creamy and complex flavored cocktail is perfect for many different occasions including:
- after dinner cocktail
- Winter holiday parties
- drinks with dinner
Due to the fact that this cocktail is not an IBA standard, there are a few different variations that are commonly made such as:
- Change the glass. You can make this a high ball by using a highball or columns glass instead of a martini. If choosing to go that route, you do need to increase the amount of ingredients.
- Replace the gin. There are a few fluffy duck cocktails that call for white rum instead of gin. Though this is less common.
- Substitute triple sec. Triple sec is most commonly used in this cocktail, but there are other orange liqueurs you can use such as Cointreau or Grand Marnier.
- Substitute the orange juice. Occasionally, people will substitute lemonade instead of orange juice.
How to make this drink:
With five ingredients and no elaborate garnishes or glass rimming, this cocktail is relatively easy to mix up. You can get this one shaken and ready to go in 5 minutes or less.
- 1 oz Gin
- 1 oz Advocaat
- .75 oz Orange Juice
- .75 oz Triple sec
- 1 oz soda water
To start out, make sure you have everything you need to make this drink including triple sec, advocaat, club soda, gin, orange juice, cocktail shaker, Hawthorne strainer, jigger, ice and martini glass.
Grab a couple handfuls of ice and use it to fill your cocktail shaker. Your shaker should be filled almost to the top.
Also, pop your martini glass into the freezer to chill it.
Pick up your advocaat and your jigger. Use your jigger and measure 1 ounce of advocaat and toss that into the cocktail shaker.
Pick up your gin and your jigger. Use your jigger and measure 1 oz of gin and toss that into the cocktail shaker.
Pick up your orange juice and your jigger. Use your jigger to measure .75 oz of orange juice and toss that into the cocktail shaker.
Pick up your triple sec and your jigger. Use your jigger to measure 0.75 oz of triple second toss that into the cocktail shaker.
Pick up your club soda in your jigger. Use your jigger to measure 1 ounce of club soda and toss that into the cocktail shaker.
Put the top on your cocktail shaker and shake well. You do want to be a little gentle otherwise the club soda will get too fizzy.
Remove your martini glass from the freezer.
emove the shaker top and put the hawthorn strainer over top of it. Carefully pour your drink from the shaker into your martini glass.
Fluffy Duck Cocktail
- Hawthorne strainer
- cocktail shaker
- Martini glass
- 1 oz Gin
- 1 oz Advocaat
- .75 oz Orange Juice
- .75 oz Triple Sec
- 1 oz Soda Water
- Begin by making sure you have everything needed to make the cocktail.
- Take your martini glass and put it into the freezer to chill it.
- Take some ice and toss it into the cocktails shaker.
- Take the gin. Use the jigger to measure out 1 oz of gin. Dump that into the cocktail shaker.
- Take the advocaat. Use the jigger to measure out 1 oz of advocaat. Dump that into the cocktail shaker
- Take the orange juice. Use the jigger to measure out .75 oz of orange juice. Dump that into the cocktail shaker
- Take the triple sec. Use the jigger to measure out .75 oz of triple sec. Dump that into the cocktail shaker
- Take the soda water. Use the jigger to measure out 1 oz of soda water. Dump that into the cocktail shaker
- Remove the martini glass from the freezer.
- Take the cocktail shaker lid and put it on the shaker.
- Carefully give your shaker a few good shakes. Don't shake too vigorously, or the soda water will fizz up.
- Replace the shaker top with the hawthorne strainer.
- Pour the drink from the shaker into the martini glass.