Occassional Cocktails may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
Chocolate mixed with sweet flavor is a classic combination. And that is certainly true of this chocolate raspberry martini. This drink is sweet, creamy and a decadent dessert cocktail.
What is a Chocolate Raspberry Martini?
A chocolate raspberry martini is a combination of raspberry vodka, Chambord, Godiva liqueur and heavy cream. This drink has a very strong raspberry flavor with a hint of creamy chocolate and a little alcoholic bite from the vodka on the way down.
Vodka is a clear liquor. It is made by fermenting grain such as rye, corn or even potatoes and then distilling them. It is known for having an almost neutral or tasteless flavor.
However, vodka does come in different flavors. For this drink we are using a raspberry vodka which has a light tart slightly sweet raspberry flavor.
Chambord is a raspberry flavored liqueur that originated in France. It is a rich reddish purple color. And has a sweet black raspberry flavor.
It is made from various base spirits including cognac. Those spirits are then infused with raspberries, blackberries and black currants (source).
Godiva liqueur is a sweet chocolatey flavored liqueur. It has a low alcohol content at around 15% alcohol by volume or 30 proof. It is of course made from Godiva chocolate which is steeped in a neutral base spirit.
The creaminess of this drink comes from the heavy cream. Heavy cream is a high fat content dairy product. It is basically the cream off the top of milk.
When to Make This Drink:
With it’s rich and sweet taste this cocktail is great to serve for many occasions including:
- after dinner drinks
- dinner parties
If you’re looking to change this drink up a little here are a few possible variations:
- Substitute the heavy cream. Instead of using heavy cream you can use a little half and half or even milk to still get a creamy cocktail.
- Use Irish cream. If you want to continue to have a creamy cocktail but want a little more chocolate and vanilla mixed in substitute the heavy cream for Irish cream.
- Use regular vodka. If you don’t have any raspberry vodka, you can use regular vodka, it will just dial back the raspberry flavor a smidge.
- Use a different chocolate liqueur. Godiva is not the only chocolate liqueur available, you could use something like creme de cacao to replace it.
Some other sweet, creamy martini type cocktails are the brandy alexander, the grasshopper drink, the banana cow drink and the fluffy duck cocktail.
How to make this drink:
You need four simple ingredients for this cocktail, so it is relatively easy to make. You should be able to whip this one up at 3 minutes or less simply by tossing your ingredients together and giving them a good shake
- 2 oz Raspberry vodka
- 2 oz godiva liqueur
- 1 oz Heavy cream
- 1 oz Chambord
- optional garnish: fresh raspberries
- optional garnish: chocolate syrup or chocolate shavings
Start off of making sure you have everything to make your drink including Martini glass, jigger, cocktail shaker, Hawthorne strainer, heavy cream, raspberry vodka, Chambord, ice and Godiva liqueur.
You’ll want to chill your martini glass by putting it in the freezer. Also, grab some ice and use it to fill your cocktail shaker almost to the top.
Using your jigger measure out 2 oz of Godiva liqueur. Take that and pour it into your cocktail shaker.
Using your jigger measure out 1 oz of Chambord. Take that and pour it into your cocktail shaker with the Godiva liqueur.
Using your jigger measure out 2 oz of raspberry vodka. Take that and pour it into the cocktail shaker with the Godiva and the chambord.
Using your jigger measure on 1 oz of heavy cream. Take that and pour into the cocktail shaker with the rest of the ingredients.
Grab the lid to the shaker and put it over top of the shaker. Shake everything well for 15 to 20 seconds or until the outside of the shaker is cold to the touch.
Remove the lid and replace it with the Hawthorne strainer. Then, pour your drink from the shaker into your martini glass.
Chocolate Raspberry Martini
- Hawthorne strainer
- cocktail shaker
- Martini glass
- 2 oz Raspberry vodka
- 2 oz godiva liqueur
- 1 oz heavy cream
- 1 oz chambord
- raspberries optional garnish
- chocolate syrup or chocolate shavings optional garnish
- Get everything needed to make the drink gathered up.
- Stick the martini glass in the freezer to chill.
- Take your ice and fill your shaker with it.
- Take your raspberry vodka and jigger. Measure out 2 oz of Raspberry vodka and toss it into the shaker.
- Take your Godiva Liqueur and jigger. Measure out 2 oz of Godiva Liqueur and toss it into the shaker.
- Take your Heavy cream and jigger. Measure out 1 oz of heavy cream and toss it into the shaker.
- Take your Chambord and jigger. Measure out 1 oz of Chambord and toss it into the shaker.
- Take the martini glass from the freezer
- Take the shaker top and put it on the shaker.
- Shake it up for about 15 – 20 seconds.
- Take the strainer and replace the shaker top with it.
- Pour your drink from the shaker into the glass.
- If you want to add a garnish:1) put a few raspberries on a cocktail pick and add to the glass.2) Sprinkle some chocolate shavings on top of the drink.
Leave a Reply