Occassional Cocktails may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
Craving the sweet, decadent and delicious flavor of hot chocolate, but need something a little cooler? Chill out with this frozen hot chocolate. This is a delightful and decadent dessert drink that is creamy and jam-packed full of chocolatey flavor.
🍫 What is a Frozen Hot Chocolate?
A frozen hot chocolate is a creamy frozen drink made by combining ice, hot chocolate mix and milk. The resulting drink is super sweet, icy and creamy and full of chocolate flavor.
This frozen drink is the perfect mixture of classic and traditional hot chocolate taste it’s been turned into an icy treat. It tastes like an icy version of a chocolate milkshake.
Here are a handful of reasons why this recipe is a must try:
- Simple and quick. You only need three super simple ingredients for this recipe. You should be able to have everything dumped in your blender and mixed together in 8 minutes or less.
- Perfect for kids. While adults can certainly also indulge in this decadent dessert drink, it’s a perfect frozen treat for kids of any age.
- Chocolate. Need I say more? It’s jam-packed full of sweet, creamy hot chocolate flavor that you can’t resist.
⭐ When to Make This Drink
This fun frozen drink is perfect for a wide array of different events since you can dress it up or dress it down. Consider serving it at a few of these times:
- Kids parties
- Dessert drinks
- Summer get togethers
One of the fun things about this drink is you can tweak it with a few different flavor variations to really ramp up the decadence or, if you want, dial it down a little:
- Make it sweeter. Turn this into a hot chocolate milkshake by substituting the ice for either chocolate or vanilla ice cream.
- Add extra garnish. Really ramp the decadence of this drink up by adding extra garnishes. A few ideas are mini marshmallows, mini chocolate chips, a maraschino cherry or chocolate curls.
- Make it minty. Make this one minty by adding .25 ounces of peppermint syrup or a couple drops of pure peppermint extract.
- Change up the hot chocolate. You can get hot chocolate powder in a few different flavors. Try out different flavors from milk to dark chocolate.
- Make your own hot chocolate. Making your own hot chocolate is super simple you only need cocoa powder, sugar and powdered milk.
- 1 Cup ice
- .5 Cup milk ( or chocolate milk)
- 1 pack Hot chocolate
- (optional garnish) Chocolate and whipped cream
Get everything gathered up including the milk, blender, hot chocolate, glass, measuring cup, ice and chocolate syrup.
Add 1 cup of ice into the blender.
Add half a cup of milk into the blender with the ice.
Open and pour one package of hot chocolate mix into the blender.
Get it all blended together. Settings in times will vary dependent on your blender.
For our blender, we use a smoothie setting for just a minute or two. The goal is to have everything creamy, smooth and well combined without liquefying it.
Make it extra chocolatey by garnishing the glass with chocolate syrup. To do this, simply tip the glass sideways and drizzle syrup around the inside.
Open your blender up and pour the drink into your rocks glass.
Get it garnished up. Grab your whipped cream and put a large dollop on top of the glass before you get to sipping.
Frozen Hot Chocolate
- Rocks glass
- 1 cup Ice
- .5 cup Milk
- 1 pack Hot Chocolate
- Chocolate chips/shavings optional garnish
- whipped cream optional garnish
- Take out the blender.
- Measure 1 cup of ice and toss it into the blender.
- Measure .5 cup of milk and toss it into the blender.
- Open one pack of instant hot chocolate and toss it into the blender.
- Turn the blender on high for a few minutes. The mixture should be well combined and the ice should be smooth.
- Turn off the blender and pour the drink into the rocks glass.
- Add a large dollop of whipped cream and a few chocolate chips (of chocolate shavings) to the top of the drink.