Occassional Cocktails may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
Minty, fresh and sweet this peppermint simple syrup is one of the best flavor additions you’ll find for your beverages and desserts. This cooling, refreshing and sweet syrup Is the perfect combination of tangy mint and sweet sugar. It is perfect for adding a splash into your cocktails and mocktails or drizzling over dessert.
🥂What is Peppermint Simple Syrup?
Peppermint simple syrup is an easy to make sweetener that is a combination of equal parts sugar and water with a dash of peppermint extract. The resulting syrup is cool, refreshing minty and sweet. It is super delicious and perfect for adding in to various beverages and foods especially in the winter holiday season.
Simple syrups are well known for being good sweeteners to add into beverages. They work much better than regular sugar as a dissolve more evenly and have a smooth texture.
Additionally, flavored simple syrups are super easy to make. Most only take three or four ingredients such as this one. Some other commonly flavored syrups you might try are mint syrup, ginger syrup and sugar cookie syrup.
Here are just a few of the many reasons why this recipe is one that you must try:
- Holiday flavors. Sweet peppermint is well known for being served up at various winter holidays. This is the perfect addition as a dessert sweetener or beverage flavor infusion to celebrate your holidays.
- It’s simple and easy. The three ingredients you need for this recipe are super simple and easy. In fact, you likely already have them in your kitchen. They’re just sugar, water and peppermint extract.
- Lots of different uses. One of the great things about this recipe is that it can be used in so many different beverages and foods. From hot chocolate to tea and from ice cream to cakes.
- Wooden Spoon (or any long handle spoon)
- Mason jar or Small Pyrex
- Measuring Cup
- Measuring Spoons
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 cup Water
- 1 teaspoon Peppermint Extract
Collect all the necessary items for this recipe including peppermint extract, water, sugar, measuring cups, jar, saucepan and wooden spoon.
Take one teaspoon of peppermint extract and pour it into the sauce pan.
Take one cup of sugar and pour it into the saucepan with the peppermint extract.
Take one cup of water and pour it into the saucepan with the sugar and peppermint extract.
Place your saucepan on the stove top at medium heat and allow it to simmer for 10 minutes. You should stir regularly while it is simmering.
Then, remove it from the heat and pour your syrup from the saucepan into your jar. Secure the lid over the top of your container and place it in the refrigerator for around 2 hours to chill and thicken.
⭐How to Use
There are so many different ways to use this flavored syrup. Here are just a few things you might consider putting it in or on:
- Tea. You can add this syrup into hot or iced tea to give it a nice sweet peppermint zing.
- Fancy coffee drinks. Add a splash of this syrup into hot coffee, iced coffee, lattes or other coffee drinks to make your own fancy coffee at home and skip the Starbucks price.
- Hot chocolate. What’s better than minty and sweet? Add a little chocolate in! Put 2 oz of this into a warm mug of hot chocolate and enjoy.
- Cocktails and mocktails. Any cocktail or mocktail that calls for a minty flavor can have this added in. You could even replace it for muddling mint.
- On ice cream. Add a little peppermint coolness to your sweet vanilla ice cream by drizzling some of the syrup over top.
- Moisten your cake. Brush this across the layers of your next cake to add a sweet peppermint flavor and keep it moist all at once.
- Breakfast topping. Drizzle this on a wide variety of breakfast foods from fresh fruit to yogurt to waffles or pancakes.
- Peppermint Milk. Add 2 oz of this syrup straight into a cold glass of milk, stir and enjoy the creamy peppermint flavor.
If you’re looking for some ways to vary this recipe, here are a few ideas:
- Thicken it. Especially if you’ll be drizzling this on foods you may want it to have a little more of a thicker texture. You can do this by adding a little extra sugar or a teaspoon of cornstarch.
- Adjust the amounts. The current recipe given makes 1.25 cups of syrup. However, if you need more or less you can simply adjust the ingredient amounts making sure that they stay in the same ratios.
- Melt peppermint candies. Instead of using peppermint extract, you could go a sweeter route by taking half a cup of peppermint candies and melting it in with the sugar and water.
💭 Top Tips & Storage
Make sure you check out the following process and storage tips so that you can make the best syrup:
- Freeze and store properly. Keep this in the refrigerator and an airtight container for 2 to 4 weeks. If you need to keep it for longer, freeze it by putting it in an ice cube tray. Then, pop the cubes out and store them in a freezer bag.
- Don’t let it boil. When you’re heating this together, don’t let it boil. That can lead to scorching and burning as well as evaporating the water. Simply heat it and simmer slowly so that the sugar dissolves well.
Peppermint Simple Syrup
- Wooden Spoon
- Mason Jar or Pyrex
- Measuring Cup
- Measuring Spoon
- 1 cup Water
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Peppermint
- Measure 1 teaspoon of peppermint. Pour it into the saucepan.
- Measure 1 cup of water. Pour it into the saucepan.
- Measure 1 cup of sugar. Pour it into the saucepan.
- Heat the mixture on the stovetop for around 10 minutes.
- Stir the mixture regularly while heating. Do not let it fully boil.
- Take the mixture off the heat and add it to the pyrex or mason jar.
- Place it in the fridge to thicken and chill for around 1 – 2 hours.
- Simmer only; do not fully boil so that it does not scorch or burn.
- Stir frequently so that it heats evenly.
- Freeze in ice cube trays if you want to keep for a long time.
- Keep in an airtight jar or container in the fridge for 2 – 4 weeks.