Occassional Cocktails may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
If you’re a fan of the heroes in a half shell, then shake up these super fun Ninja turtle shots at your next get together. These fun and easy three ingredient shots are sure to be the talking point of your next party.
What is are Ninja Turtle Shots?
Ninja turtle shots are a combination of pineapple juice, Midori and coconut rum. These shots are then rimmed and colored sugar to match Donatello, Michelangelo, Raphael and Leonardo. These bright green shots are fruity and sweet.
Midori is where these shots get their bright green turtle color. Midori is a liqueur that originated in Japan. It is a sweet melon flavor and is made from Yubari and honeydew melons.
Coconut rum is a rum-based liqueur. It is made by mixing rum with sweetener and either coconut meat or coconut extract. The resulting liqueur is clear in color and has a very sweet coconut flavor.
When you are selecting a pineapple juice to use in these shots, make sure you pick a fresh juice. Additionally, you want to get a no sugar added 100% pure pineapple juice to get that real tart, sweet pineapple flavor.
When to Make This Drink:
These fun, themed shots are perfect to serve up at your next event such as:
- movie nights
- Pool parties
- birthday parties
These Ninja turtle shots are not standardized drinks, therefore, there are a few different ways you can change them up including:
- Leave out the pineapple juice. If, for some reason pineapple juice isn’t your thing or, perhaps you don’t have any you can leave it out and double the Midori.
- Change out the liquor. Although many recipes for these shots call for coconut rum to go with the tropical melon and pineapple flavor of the other ingredients, you can use any clear liquor in this drink. Vodka, tequila or regular rum would work well also.
- Make it a cocktail. If you’d like to use this as a sipping drink instead of a shot, simply multiply the ingredients by two and add it to a rocks glass.
How to make this drink:
You should be able to mix this one up and around 8 minutes. Though it only takes three ingredients, if you’re making four shots with a different color of them on each, that can be a little time consuming.
- .75 oz Midori
- .75 oz Pineapple
- .75 oz Coconut rum
- Rim with red, orange, blue and purple colored sugar
- Note: If you want to make four total shots so that you can have all four colored rims, use 3 oz of each ingredient. The 0.75 is for one total shot.
Gather up everything you’ll need to make this drink including pineapple juice, coconut rum, Midori, food coloring or colored sugar, saucers, shot glasses, Hawthorne strainer, cocktail shaker and jigger.
Note: We will be making four shots all at once below. If you want to only make one shot, use .75 oz of each ingredient.
Start out by rimming your four shot glasses with red, orange, blue and purple colored sugar.
Take four small saucers, spread a thin layer of colored sugar on each one so that each saucer has a different colored sugar.
Use a piece of ice and run it around the rim of each of the four shot glasses so that the rims are wet. Then, place one shot glass rim down in each colored sugar and rock it back and forth so that the sugar covers the rim.
Note: If you cannot find pre-made colored sugar. You can make your own by adding the sugar to a saucer and then adding a few drops of the appropriate food coloring and mixing it in.
Use ice to almost fill your cocktail shaker to the top.
Pick up the coconut rum and use your jigger to measure 3 oz. Then, dump it in the shaker.
Pick up the pineapple juice and use your jigger to measure 3 oz. Then, dump it in the shaker.
Pick up the Midori and use your ticket to measure 3 oz. Then, dump it in the shaker.
Pick up the shaker lid and put it on top of the shaker. Shake well until the outside of the shaker becomes cold to the touch.
Remove the shaker lid. Place the hawthorn strainer on top of the shaker and pour your drink into each of the four shot glasses. Enjoy!
Ninja Turtle Shots
- 4 shot glass
- Hawthorne strainer
- cocktail shaker
- Gather together all the ingredients and equipment listed above.
- Fill the shaker up completely with ice.
- Rim the glasses with colored sugar. You can either purchased colored sugar or make your own by adding a few drops of food color in sugar and mixing it around.
- Pour each colored sugar on it's own saucer in a thin layer.
- Take an ice cube and run it around the rim of each shot glass to wet it. Then turn each glass rim down into one colored sugar. Rock the glass back and forth so that the sugar covers the rim.
- Take the jigger and measure 3 oz of Midori. Dump it into the shaker.
- Take the jigger and measure 3 oz of Coconut rum. Dump it into the shaker.
- Take the jigger and measure 3 oz of Pineapple Juice. Dump it into the shaker.
- Take the shaker lid and put it on top of the shaker.
- Shake it well for 15 – 20 seconds.
- Remove the shaker lid and put the strainer over top of the shaker.
- Pour the drink into each of the 4 shot glasses.