Occassional Cocktails may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
Looking for a fun holiday themed cocktail to serve at your next party? Try out this boozy Grinch punch for adults which is sure to catch everyone’s eye and taste buds.
What is Grinch Punch?
Grinch punch for adults is a combination of pineapple juice, green Hawaiian Punch, lemon lime soda, vodka and is rimmed with red sanding sugar. The resulting boozy drink is neon green in color and has a sweet and smooth flavor with a light citrus and pineapple taste and a little fizz.
Pineapple flavored drinks are really popular for serving at any warm weather event. Often times they are paired with melon, vodka and citrus flavors like in this punch.
Vodka is the ingredient which gives this drink the alcoholic content. Vodka tends to be rather neutral and flavor, so it’s perfect to use when you want to add some alcohol content, but want the other ingredients to shine through.
You can use any lemon lime soda for this punch. We really like the taste of Sprite and so that’s what we used in the recipe below.
The Green Hawaiian Punch is the key to making this a Grinch themed drink. Of course, it contributes the bright neon green color that is the color of the Grinch.
Rimming the glass with red sanding sugar is a must-do garnish for this cocktail. Oftentimes garnishes are optional. However, the red rim symbolizes the red heart that often goes with the Grinch. You don’t want to leave it out of the drink.
When to Make This Drink:
This drink is fun to serve at different party times such as:
- Christmas parties
- winter holiday celebrations
- St Patrick’s Day
This is a lot of standardized cocktail, there are a lot of different variations you can try including:
- Make it Frozen. Add a little lime sherbert to this drink if you would like to make it more of a frozen punch.
- Substitute the green Hawaiian Punch. You can use something like a green Kool-Aid if you Don’t want to use Hawaiian Punch.
- Use Midori. If you want to add a little additional alcohol content and love melon flavor, substitute the green Hawaiian Punch for Midori.
- Use a different vodka. Try out a flavored vodka if you want to add a little more complexity to this drink. A vodka Citron or even an Apple vodka would be good.
- Substitute the vodka. If you don’t love vodka, you can try any other liquor such as rum or tequila. We do recommend using a clear liquor so you don’t mess with the green color of the drink.
- Substitute the lemon lime soda. You can use any type of carbonated beverage as long as it is light or clear in color, try out club soda or even ginger ale. Type of carbonated beverage as long as it is light or clear in color, try out club soda or even ginger ale.
How to make this drink:
This drink is super easy to make. The ingredients below are for a single serving. However, if you want to make this in a big batch punch simply multiply everything by 5 and mix it together in a punch bowl.
- 1 oz Pineapple juice
- 3 oz Hawaiian punch
- 2 oz Vodka
- 1 oz Lemon lime soda
- Red sanding sugar to rim
Collect everything you need for this drink including a rocks glass, jigger, cocktail shaker and Hawthorne strainer or bar spoon, green Hawaiian Punch, vodka, pineapple juice, lemon lime soda, ice and red sanding sugar.
Go ahead and rim your glass. Take an ice cube and run it around the rim of the glass to wet it.
Place a thin layer of red sanding sugar on a saucer. Then, stick the glass rim down into the sugar and roll it back and forth until the rim is coated.
Grab some ice and toss it into the rocks glass and the shaker. Both should be filled almost completely to the top.
Pick up your pineapple juice. Using the jigger, measure 1 oz and pour it into the shaker.
Pick up the green Hawaiian Punch. Using a jigger, measure 3 oz and pour it into the shaker.
Pick up the vodka. Using a jigger, measure 2 oz and pour it into shaker.
Pick up the Sprite. Using a jigger, measure 1 oz and pour it into the shaker.
Pop the top on the shaker and shake for around 15 seconds. Make sure to not shake too vigorously or the soda will fizz up.
Pop the top off the shaker and stick the Hawthorne strainer over the shaker. Strain your punch from the shaker into your rocks glass.
- Hawthorne strainer
- cocktail shaker
- Rocks glass
- 1 oz Pineapple Juice
- 3 oz Green Hawaiian Punch
- 2 oz Vodka
- 1 oz Sprite
- red sanding sugar for rim
- Gather all the listed ingredients and equipment.
- Put a layer of simple syrup on one half of a saucer.
- Put a layer of red sugar on the other half of the saucer.
- Run the rim of the glass around in the simple syrup until it is well coated. Then, run it in the red sugar until it is well coated.
- Fill the shaker and glass both with ice.
- Using a jigger, measure 1 oz of Pineapple juice. Pour that in the shaker.
- Using a jigger, measure 3 oz of Hawaiian Punch. Pour that in the shaker.
- Using a jigger, measure 2 oz of Vodka. Pour that in the shaker.
- Using a jigger, measure 1 oz of Sprite. Pour that in the shaker.
- Put the lid on the shaker and shake it up. Don't do it too rough, or the soda will fizz up.
- Replace the lid of the shaker with the strainer and pour the drink into the glass.