Occassional Cocktails may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
The Roy Rogers drink is a timeless and classic mocktail that melts together the familiar flavors of cola and grenadine. This delightful, bright and easy to make beverage is an iconic drink that is full of sweet cherry cola flavor. Serve this one up anytime you’re looking for a non-alcoholic option that still really wallops a punch of flavor.
🍹 What is a Roy Rogers Drink?
A Roy Rogers drink is a classic mocktail that is a simple combination of Coke and a splash of grenadine which is then topped with a bright red maraschino cherry. The festive and fancy looking beverage is fizzy and flavorful, it tastes like a slightly less sweet cherry coke.
This mocktail originated in the early to mid-1900s. It is named after Roy Rogers who was a legendary actor and singer who commonly starred in westerns.
Legend has it that this drink was named after him due to the fact that he did not drink alcohol. And, this was oftentimes served as a companion or substitute for the Shirley Temple drink which uses ginger ale or Sprite instead of Coke. Another classic mocktail named after a person is this Arnold Palmer drink.
Here are just a few of the reasons that you might want to sit back, sip and enjoy this drink:
- Quick and easy. With only two very simple ingredients this drink is so easy to make. If you have about 2 minutes then you can get it done. Simply pour your ingredients into a glass, give them a stir and drop maraschino cherry on top.
- Perfect for all occasions. Since this is a non-alcoholic drink, it’s perfect for all ages. Additionally, it’s great for events from casual get-togethers to more formal settings.
- Irresistible flavor. Who doesn’t love the sweet fizz of Coke and the fruity flavor of cherry? Combine those together and you have an irresistible drink that’s sure to keep you coming back for more.
⭐ When to Make This Drink
This fun mocktail can really be served at pretty much any time or event. However, if you’re looking for a few specific suggestions, try some of these out:
- Family gatherings
- Birthday parties
- With dinner
If you’re looking for a few ways to customize this drink, or perhaps you just need a few ingredient substitutions, try these ideas out:
- Make your own grenadine. Store-bought grenadine is relatively inexpensive and obviously faster to use. However, if you want to be able to adjust the sweetness in this drink a little, you can make your own grenadine syrup.
- Add a citrus twist. Garnish this with a lemon or lime wedge and add a squeeze into the top of the drink as you sip it. The tart acidity from the citrus will help to complement and tone down the sweetness of this drink.
- Make it for a crowd. Mix this one up in a large picture by multiplying the ingredient amounts by five or six times. Then, simply pour it into glasses when you’re ready to serve and top with a cherry.
- Change up the soda. While you always want to use a cola based soda, you can change it up by using diet, sugar-free or caffeine-free if you have certain diet restrictions or needs.
- 6 oz Coke
- 1 oz Grenadine
- Garnish with Maraschino Cherry
Get started by collecting everything you need for this mocktail including Coke, grenadine, maraschino cherry, highball glass, ice, jigger and bar spoon.
Fill the highball glass up to the very top with ice.
Measure out 1 oz of grenadine. Then, pour that into the bottom of the glass.
Grab your bottle of Coke and pour that into the glass directly until the glass is filled to the top.
Alternatively, you can measure out the Coke. It usually ends up being around 5 or so ounces depending on the size of glass you use.
Get everything stirred up with your bar spoon. Place the bar spoon in the glass and mix it together well.
Then, finally, take a maraschino cherry and set it on top of the drink.
Roy Rogers Drink
- bar spoon
- highball glass
- 6 oz Coke
- 1 oz Grenadine
- Maraschino Cherry garnish
- Toss enough ice into the highball glass so that it is filled to the top.
- Take the grenadine. Use the jigger to measure 1 oz of grenadine and toss it into the bottom of the glass.*see below if you need an alternate measurement to ounces.
- Take the coke. Use the jigger to measure 6 oz of coke and toss it into the glass.Note: if you want to skip measuring the coke, you can. Just pour it straight into the glass to top it off.
- Place the bar spoon into the glass and stir well.
- Pop a maraschino cherry on top of the drink and enjoy!
- ¾ cup of Coke
- 1.5 tbs of Grenadine