Do fruit punch and rum go well together? The answer is absolute yes! Rum and punch are sweet, fruity and delicious cocktail. This drink is perfect for single serving or a punch bowl.
What is a Rum and fruit punch?
A rum and fruit punch is an easy to make super sweet and fruity cocktail. This red cocktail tastes pretty much solely like the sweet flavor of fruit punch, but has a little bit of the sweet bite of rum as it goes down.
Rum is a liquor that is made by fermenting and distilling typically sugarcane. Due to this fact rum is typically a very sweet liquor.
There are many different types of rum including dark, spiced, white and coconut rum. Each has a different flavor profile based on different additives and the way and length it is aged.
Any of these types are from work perfectly good in this cocktail. We prefer using a nice white rum as it provides just the sweetness and not a lot of additional spicy flavor to the fruit punch.
Fruit punch is a drink that is essentially sweetened fruit juices. The types of fruit juices used can vary just dependent on the brand you buy in the store or what you choose to use if you make it homemade.
Store-bought fruit punch is typically fruit juices combined with water while most of the homemade recipes call for mixing the fruit juices with some type of soda like ginger ale or Sprite. You can use any type of fruit punch you want for this cocktail.
When to make this drink
With the burst of sweet fruit and bright color this cocktail is perfect for a wide range of different occasions. Try it out for some of the below:
- pool parties
- summer barbecues
- springtime celebrations
- Summer or spring sipping on your back porch
- any large gathering
How to make this drink:
You can turn this drink into a single serving or a pitcher or punch bowl with ease. If you want to make enough for several servings, just multiply the ingredients by 5.
- 2 oz Rum
- 4 oz Fruit Punch
Gather together your glass, bar spoon, jigger, rum, fruit punch and ice.
Pro tip: You can mix this drink either straight in the glass or in a cocktail shaker. The instructions and the step-by-step below will detail mixing straight in the glass.
If you choose to use a cocktail shaker simply feel your striker with ice. Then, pour your rum and fruit punch into your shaker shake it well and use a Hawthorne strainer to move your drink from your shaker to your glass.
Fill your glass to the top with ice.
Take your jigger and take your rum. Then, measure 2 oz of rum with your jigger and pour your rum into your glass with your ice.
Take your jigger and take your fruit punch. Then, measure 4 oz of fruit punch with your jigger and pour your fruit punch into your glass with your ice and rum.
Pro tip: If you want to dial back the rum or alcohol flavor and your drink simply add an ounce or two additional fruit punch to top your glass off. Or, you can cut the rum amount back to one or one and a half ounces.
Take your bar spoon and place it into your glass. Use the spoon to thoroughly mix together the rum and fruit punch.
If you’d like to add an optional garnish you can use a slice of any type of fruit that is in the fruit punch.
Rum and Fruit Punch
- bar spoon
- highball glass
- Hawthorne strainer (optional)
- cocktail shaker (optional)
- 2 oz rum
- 4 oz fruit punch
- slice or wedge of fruit (optional garnish)
- Gather up all the necessary supplies and ingredients that you need for you drink.Note: this drink can be mixed either in your glass or in a cocktail shaker. Glass mixing instructions are detailed in the step by step below.To use a cocktail shaker:Fill the shaker up with ice.Measure and add your ingredients into your shaker.Put the top on your shaker and shake well.Take off the shaker top and add the hawthorne strainer, then pour your drink into your glass.
- Take some ice and fill your glass to the top with it.
- Use your jigger and measure out 2 oz of rum. Then, toss the rum into your glass.
- Use your jigger and measure out 4 oz of fruit punch. Then, toss the fruit punch into your glass.Note: if you want less of a rum flavor, you can skip measuring and just top your glass off with fruit punch.
- Use your bar spoon and thoroughly mix your drink together.