Occassional Cocktails may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
Do rum and grapefruit juice taste good together? Yes, rum and grapefruit juice are a perfect combination of tart and a little sweet.
What is a Rum and Grapefruit Juice?
A rum and grapefruit juice is a super easy two ingredient highball that has a pretty light pink color. This cocktail is tart and tangy just like grapefruit juice, but has a little spicy kick from the rum on the back end.
Rum a type of liquor that is made from distilling sugarcane. There are a few different types of rum including white or light rum, dark rum, spiced rum and coconut rum.
Each type of rum starts with a lightly sweet and spicy flavor and then has other flavors added in either buy infusing the rum with spices or by aging the rum. For this recipe we used Light rum.
When choosing a grapefruit juice it’s best to use 100% pure and fresh grapefruit juice. Using a grapefruit juice cocktail will have other fruit flavors added in which can cut down on some of the tart tanginess of grapefruit. Also, make sure to use a grapefruit juice without pulp included so that your cocktail has a smooth texture.
When to Make This Drink:
This pretty pink drink is light and refreshing making it a perfect match for a variety of occasions such as:
- pool parties
- afternoon sipping
- spring and summer celebrations
If you’re wondering how to change this drink up there are a few ways, try some of these out:
- Squeeze your own juice. Store-bought grapefruit juice does work fine for this drink. However, squeezing your own juice will make sure that it is is fresh as possible and gives you an extra tart tangy grapefruit flavor.
- Add grenadine. If you want to change it up a little in flavor and color, add a little dash of grenadine. Grenadine is a bright red very sweet syrup. It will darken the drink a little as well as add a little sweetness to balance out the tart from grapefruit.
- Change up the rum. We used light rum in the recipe ingredients below when we made the drink. However, if you want the rum flavor to stand out a little more, you can use a different rum variety such as spiced rum or dark rum.
How to make this drink:
This cocktail only takes two ingredients and a super easy to make. You can toss your ingredients together and get them mixed up in two minutes or less.
- 2 oz Rum
- 4 oz Grapefruit Juice
Go ahead and get started by gathering everything necessary for this drink including highball glass, jigger, bar spoon or cocktail shaker, ice, grapefruit juice and rum.
Use your ice to almost completely fill your highball glass to the top.
Note: in the step by step instructions below, we’ll be building our drink straight in the glass. However, you can also build this drink in the cocktail shaker.
If you’d like to build it in the shaker, also add ice to your shaker at this point. Then, when you measure your ingredients you’ll add them directly to the shaker instead of the glass. Put the top on the shaker and shake well. Then, strain the drink from the shaker into the glass.
Pick up your rum as well as your jigger. Use your jigger to measure 2 oz of rum. Pour that into your glass.
Pick up your grapefruit juice as well as your jigger. Use your jigger to measure 4 oz of grapefruit juice. Pour that into your glass.
note: If you’d like to skip measuring the grapefruit juice, you can certainly do that. Simply pour the grapefruit juice directly into the glass filling it almost to the top. This will usually take a little more than 4 oz which can smooth the rum flavor out a little bit.
To get this drink stirred up you have two options. You can either do it with a bar spoon or with a shaker.
To do it with a bar spoon, place to spoon in the glass. Then, stir everything well.
To do it with a shaker, carefully toss the ingredients from the glass into the shaker. Then, toss them from the shaker back into the glass.
Rum and Grapefruit Juice
- bar spoon
- highball glass
- Hawthorne strainer
- cocktail shaker
- 2 oz Rum
- 4 oz Grapefruit Juice
- Start out by gathering up everything needed to make this cocktail.
- Toss some ice into the highball glass. It should be filled about to the top with ice.
- Pick up the rum and jigger. Measure out 2 oz of rum with the jigger. Then, toss the rum into the glass.
- Pick up the grapefruit juice and jigger. Measure out 4 oz of grapefruit juice with the jigger. Then, toss the grapefruit juice into the glass.note: instead of measuring the grapefruit juice, you can just pour it directly into the glass and top the glass off.
- To mix everything together, there are two options:1) Put the bar spoon into the glass and stir well.2) Carefully toss the drink from the glass into the shaker. Then, toss it back into the glass.
- Add ice to the shaker also.
- Measure and pour ingredients straight into the shaker.
- Put the shaker top on and shake for 15 – 20 seconds.
- Replace the shaker top with the hawthorne strainer.
- Pour the drink into the glass.