The Sea breeze cocktail is a pretty red drink that is refreshing and easy to make. You only need three ingredients for this one and it is the perfect summer time sipper.
What is a Sea Breeze Cocktail?
A sea breeze cocktail is a combination of cranberry juice, grapefruit juice and vodka. This cocktail has a refreshing flavor where the cranberry juice mellows the tartness of the grapefruit juice resulting in a fruity, smooth sipping cocktail.
The vodka in this drink provides the alcohol content. However, the sweetness and tartness of the juices smooth the bite of the alcohol so that it is not very detectable.
When you’re choosing cranberry juice and grapefruit juice, make sure to get them as fresh as possible. Additionally, make sure to get 100% juice for each and not a cocktail where other fruit juices have been added in.
When to Make This Drink:
This cocktail’s bright color and refreshing flavor, it is well suited for variety of warm occasions including:
- 4th of July parties
- poolside sipping
- beach vacations
- winter holidays
Since this is an IBA standard drink you don’t really want to mess with the ingredients much or you end up with a different cocktail. However, here are a few options:
- Homemade grapefruit juice. Squeeze your own grapefruit juice to get an extra fresh and tart flavor.
- Flavored vodka. Though it won’t be the standard seabreeze cocktail, you can try using a flavored vodka such as cranberry vodka or citrus vodka to add a little extra fruit flavor.
- Shaken not stirred. In the instructions below we prefer to stir the drink. However, you can build it in a cocktail shaker and shake it instead.
- Substitute pineapple juice. Make it a day breeze by switching the grapefruit juice for pineapple juice.
- Add a garnish. Slice up the lime and add a lime wedge to the rim of the glass for a little citrus garnish.
How to make this drink:
If you have 5 minutes or less, you should be able to whip this drink right up. Dump your three ingredients into your glass and get them mixed.
- 1.5 oz Vodka
- 1 oz Grapefruit Juice
- 4 oz Cranberry juice
- Lime wedge garnish
As you get started make sure you’ve gathered everything necessary to make this drink including cranberry juice, grapefruit juice, vodka, ice, highball glass, jigger and bar spoon.
Note: We prefer to mix this drink straight in the glass. However, you can build it in a cocktail shaker and shake it. If you could do that make sure you have a shaker and Hawthorne strainer as well.
That’s enough ice into your glass so that it is filled to the brim.
Note: If You’re building this drink in the cocktail shaker, make sure to fill the shaker with ice as well. The instructions below build it in the glass. However, if you build it in the shaker make sure to pour your ingredients directly in the shaker instead of the glass.
Grab the vodka and jigger. Use a jigger to measure 1 and ½ oz of vodka. Then, pour the vodka into the glass.
Grab the grapefruit juice and jigger. Use a jigger to measure 1 oz of grapefruit juice. Then, pour the grapefruit juice into the glass.
Grab the cranberry juice and jigger. Use the jigger to measure 4 oz of cranberry juice. Then, pour the cranberry juice into the glass.
Pro tip: save a little time by skipping measuring the cranberry juice. Simply pour the cranberry juice directly into the glass to top it off.
Get your drink mixed well using the bar spoon. Place the bar spoon into the glass and stir carefully.
If you want to add a garnish now the time to do so. Cut a lime and two slices. Take one slice and cut a notch in the pulp. Then, secure the lime on the rim of the glass using the notch.
Sea Breeze Cocktail
- bar spoon
- cocktail shaker
- Hawthorne strainer
- highball glass
- 1.5 oz Vodka
- 1 oz Grapefruit Juice
- 4 oz Cranberry Juice
- Lime wedge (optional garnish)
- Get the things needed to make the cocktail gathered up.
- Toss some ice into the glass. The glass should be filled to the top with ice.
- Grab up the vodka. Measure 1.5 oz of vodka with the jigger. Pour it into the glass. 1.5 oz Vodka 1 oz Grapefruit Juice4 oz Cranberry juiceLime wedge garnish
- Grab up the grapefruit juice. Measure 1 oz of Grapefruit juice with the jigger. Pour it into the glass.
- Grab up the cranberry juice. Measure 4 oz of cranberry juice with the jigger. Pour it into the glass.Tip: if you want to pour the juice straight into the glass and top the glass off.
- There are two options for mixing the drink up:1) Use a bar spoon to carefully stir it together.2) Gently toss the drink from the glass into the shaker. Then toss it back into the glass.
- If you want to add an optional lime wedge:1) Cut a lime into slices.2) Take one slice and cut a notch in the pulp.3) Use the notch to secure the wedge on the rim of the glass.