Occassional Cocktails may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
If you’re looking for a bright red fruity and sweet drink for your next date night, try out this love potion drink. With only a few ingredients, this cocktail is easy to whip up and sure to be a hit with your date.
What is a Love Potion Drink?
The love potion drink is a combination of vodka, cranberry juice, grapefruit juice and grenadine. The resulting cocktail is slightly sweet and very tart full of fruit flavor.
Vodka is a clear liquor. It typically has a tasteless or neutral flavor. It is made by fermenting grains such as wheat and then distilling them. It is typically added to cocktails when you want a liquor added but one that will not overtake the flavors of the other ingredients.
Grenadine is a bright red, very sweet syrup. It is made from pomegranates. Though, sometimes people feel it has a cherry syrup-like flavor. It adds a little sweetness to this drink as well as a red color.
For the grapefruit and cranberry juices, you can make your own or buy them at the store. It’s best to use 100% pure juice and not cocktails so that you can get the pure tart flavor of both fruits.
Occasions to make this drink
With its bright red color and tart flavor, this one can be served at a multitude of different occasions including:
- Valentine’s Day
- date nights
This drink is not an IBA standard, and so different recipes do have some different ingredients and amounts used. If you want to try changing it up a little try this out:
- Try a flavored vodka. If you want to ramp up the cranberry flavor you could try a cranberry flavored vodka. Or a vodka citron would work well with the flavors of this cocktail also. We like to use a raspberry flavored vodka and ours to add a little sweet berry flavor.
- Squeeze your own juice. Buy whole grapefruits and squeeze your own grapefruit juice to have the freshest, most tart flavor possible.
- Add different juices. Some recipes call for a splash of orange juice or even lime juice to help add a little sweetness to this drink. To this drink.
- Have fun with garnishes. Add some strawberry slices, maraschino cherries, or a red sugar rim to spruce this drink up and add a little sweetness.
How to make this drink:
With four super easy ingredients, this drink can be mixed together in 5 minutes or less. All you have to do is measure your ingredients, toss them together and stir them well.
- 3 oz raspberry vodka
- 2 oz Cranberry Juice
- 1 oz Grapefruit Juice
- splash of Grenadine
Get started by making sure you have everything necessary to make this drink including a rocks glass, jigger, cocktail shaker, Hawthorne strainer, ice, grenadine, vodka, grapefruit juice, cranberry juice and (if desired) strawberry slices, cherries or red sugar for garnish.
Go ahead and grab your ice. Toss it into your rocks glass and your cocktail shaker. Both should be filled almost to the top.
Pick up your vodka and your jigger. Use your jigger and measure 3 oz of vodka. Toss that into your cocktail shaker.
Pick up your cranberry juice and your jigger. Use your jigger and measure 2 oz of cranberry juice. Toss that into your cocktail shaker.
Pick up your grapefruit juice and your jigger. Use your jigger and measure 1 ounce of grapefruit juice. Toss that into your cocktail shaker.
Pick up your grenadine. Add a few dashes into your shaker. If you want to measure it, about .25 oz will do the trick.
Grab your shaker lid and place it over top of the shaker. Shake well for around 15 or so seconds. The outside of the shaker should be cold and icy to the touch.
If you want to add garnishes now is the time to do so. You can pop a couple cherries on a cocktail pic. Or, you can slice a few strawberries and place them on the rim of your glass.
If you want to rim your glass with red sugar, pour your sugar onto a saucer. Then, rub an ice cube around the room of your glass. Finally, place the glass down into the sugar and rock it back and forth.
Remove the top from your cocktail shaker and replace it with the Hawthorne strainer. Then, carefully strain your drink from the shaker into your glass. Enjoy!
Love Potion Drink
- Hawthorne strainer
- cocktail shaker
- Rocks glass
- 3 oz Raspberry Vodka
- 2 oz Cranberry Juice
- 1 oz Grapefruit Juice
- splash Grenadine
- Gather the ingredients and equipment together for the drink.
- Fill the rocks glass and cocktail shaker with ice.
- Take the raspberry vodka. Measure 3 oz with the jigger and dump it into the shaker.
- Take the cranberry juice. Measure 2 oz with the jigger and dump it into the shaker.
- Take the grapefruit juice. Measure 3 oz with the jigger and dump it into the shaker.
- Take the grenadine and add a splash or two into the shaker.
- Put the shaker lid over the shaker.
- Shake it up for about 15 – 20 seconds.
- Remove the shaker lid and put the strainer over the shaker.
- Pour the drink from the shaker into the glass.