Does amaretto and grapefruit juice go well together? The answer is yes, amaretto and grapefruit juice is a tart and well-blended cocktail that is a refreshing sipping drink.
What is am Amaretto and Grapefruit Juice?
An amaretto and grapefruit juice is an easy two ingredient highball made, of course, from amaretto and grapefruit juice. The resulting cocktail is a light pink color and has the tart flavor of grapefruit juice smoothed out by the amaretto.
Amaretto is a gold-ish colored Italian liqueur. It is made typically from either almonds or pits of stone fruit such as apricots or peaches. It is a slightly sweet and slightly bitter liqueur that has flavors of almonds and cherries. When added to most drinks it helps to smooth and meld all the flavors together.
When you’re picking a grapefruit juice, it’s best to use as fresh as possible. Additionally, you want to get 100% no sugar added grapefruit juice and not a cocktail.
This drink has a similar nutty and citrus flavor as an amaretto and orange juice, but is much more tart due to the grapefruit.
When to Make This Drink:
The light pink color and refreshing flavor of this drink makes it perfect to serve at times including:
- afternoon sipping
- Valentine’s Day
- pool parties and barbecues
Although a plain amaretto and pure grapefruit juice cocktail is super delicious, here are a few ways you can mix it up:
- Squeeze your own juice. Using freshly squeezed grapefruit juice will really add a crisp tart and tangy flavor to your drink. Do make sure to not let any pulp get into the drink so that you continue to have a smooth texture.
- Add a sugar rim. If the tartness of the grapefruit juice is a little much, you can add a sugar rim on your glass to help smooth that tartness out.
- Make it sparkling. Add a little splash of grapefruit soda or club soda to make your drink a little fizzy.
- Add a garnish. Double down on the tart grapefruit flavor by adding a little wedge of grapefruit on the rim of your drink. Or, sweeten the drink a little by adding a few maraschino cherries on a cocktail pick.
How to make this drink:
With only two super easy and simple ingredients, you can have this one ready to go in 2 minutes or less. All you have to do is measure your ingredients and then stir them together.
- 2 oz Amaretto
- 4 oz Grapefruit Juice
As you get started make sure you have everything necessary for your cocktail including highball glass, jigger, bar spoon or cocktail shaker, ice, amaretta and grapefruit juice.
Using your ice, fill your glass almost to the top.
Note: for the step by step instructions below we chose to build this cocktail directly in the glass. However, you can build it directly in the shaker if you desire.
To build this directly in a shaker, also add ice to the shaker. Then, when you measure your ingredients dump them directly into the shaker. Place the shaker lid on top and shake well. Then, strain the drink into your glass.
Go ahead and grab up your amaretto. Then, using a jigger, measure 2 oz of amaretto and toss it in your glass.
Go ahead and grab up your grapefruit juice. Then, using a jigger, measure 4 oz of grapefruit juice and toss it in your glass.
Note: If you want to skip measuring the grapefruit juice in this step you certainly can. Simply take the grapefruit juice and pour it directly into the glass until it is almost full to the top.
Finally, you’ll need to get everything mixed together. You can do this either by using the shaker or the bar spoon.
To use the shaker, gently toss all of the contents from the glass into the shaker. Then, carefully toss them from the shaker back into the glass.
To use the bar spoon, place it into your glass. Then stir your drink well.
Amaretto and Grapefruit Juice
- bar spoon
- highball glass
- Hawthorne strainer
- cocktail shaker
- 2 oz Amaretto
- 4 oz Grapefruit Juice
- Gather all the equipment and ingredients for this drink.
- Fill your glass up with ice.
- Use your jigger to measure our 2 oz of Amaretto. Dump that into the glass.
- Use your jigger to measure out 4 oz of Grapefruit Juice. Dump that into the glass.Note: If you want to just use the grapefruit juice to top the glass off instead of measuring it out, you can do that also.
- To mix this drink up, there are two options:1) Place the bar spoon in the glass and give a few good stirs.2) Toss the contents of the glass into the cocktail shaker. Then, toss it from the shaker into the glass.
- Add ice to the shaker as well as the glass.
- Measure your ingredients into the shaker.
- Put the shaker lid on
- Shake for 15 – 20 seconds.
- Remove the shaker lid.
- Put the hawthorne strainer on the shaker.
- Pour the drink into your glass.