Occassional Cocktails may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
If you’re looking for a sweet, tropical and refreshing drink for your next party or large get together, try out this beautiful rum punch. This brightly colored easy to make punch is sweet and fruity.
What is Rum Punch?
Rum punch is a combination of rum (both light and dark) pineapple juice, orange juice, lime juice and grenadine. The resulting punch is sweet and has a strong tropical fruit flavor.
Punch itself is typically a liquor and then a combination of juices, sugar and spices. It is usually made in a large batch and served for big gatherings or parties. However, you can downsize the amounts of ingredients and make it as a single serving if desired.
Rum is made by distilling sugar cane. There are a variety of different ROMs based on how and how long they are aged. Some additionally have spices or other flavorings added into them. Rum itself is a lightly sweet and lightly spicy liquor.
Grenadine is a thick, sweet syrup. It is bright red in color. It is made from pomegranates and has a fruity flavor. It is used in this recipe to add some sweetness to the cocktail.
For the lime juice, orange juice and pineapple juice it is best to use 100% juice for each of them. Try to get it as fresh as possible, you can make it at home or buy them at the store. For the orange juice it is best to have pulp free so that you have a smooth textured drink.
When to make this drink
This refreshing, sweet and tropical punch is perfect for a variety of different occasions including:
- pool parties or beach vacations
- Tailgating parties
- large celebrations or get togethers
- BBQs or other summer holidays
If you’d like to change this punch up a little, here are a few things to try:
- Make it sparkling. If you like your punches to have a little fizz or carbonation you can add in a lemon lime soda, club soda or ginger ale to this punch.
- Choose different rum. For this recipe we are using light rum and dark rum. However, you could add just one type of from or you could add in a Caribbean or coconut rum if you prefer.Switch up the juices. You could use a variety of different juices in this cocktail such as apple juice or grape juice or even fruit Punch.
- Add some fruit. Cut up some fruit such as pineapple wedges or orange wheels and toss them into your punch to ramp up the fruit flavor.
How to make this drink:
This punch is super easy to make even though it does take a handful of ingredients. The instructions and amounts below are for a single serving glass. However, if you would like to make an entire punch bowl multiply them by 5 to 6 times.
- 1 oz white rum
- 1 oz dark rum
- 1.5 oz pineapple
- 1.5 oz orange juice
- .5 oz lime juice
- .5 oz grenadine
- garnish orange and cherry
Make sure you’ve gathered everything necessary to make this drink including a highball glass, bar spoon, pineapple juice, orange juice, lime juice, light rum, dark rum, grenadine, jigger, ice and any garnishes desired.
If you’re making this in a punch bowl you’ll want to also have a punch bowl and ladle available.
Grab a couple handfuls of ice and chuck it into your highball glass. The glass should be filled almost to the top.
Note: We are building this single serving drink directly in the glass. However, you could also build it in a shaker.
If you want to build it in a cocktail shaker then fill your shaker with ice as well. Measure your ingredients directly into the shaker and then shake well before pouring into your glass.
Take your light rum and jigger. Measure 1 oz of light rum and toss it into your highball glass.
Take your dark rum and jigger. Measure 1 oz of dark rum and toss it into the highball glass.
Take your pineapple juice and jigger. Measure 1.5 oz of pineapple juice and toss it into the highball glass.
Take your orange juice and jigger. Measure 1.5 oz of orange juice and toss it into the highball glass.
Take your lime juice and jigger. Measure 0.5 oz of lime juice and toss it into the highball glass.
Take your grenadine and jigger. And measure 0.5 oz of grenadine and toss it into the highball glass.
Get your drink mixed up. Place your bar spoon inside your glass and give it a few good stirs. Or toss it from the glass to the shaker and back to the glass.
If you’d like to add a garnish, now is the time to do so. Toss a couple maraschino cherries on top of your drink. Or, add an orange wheel, slice of pineapple or lime wedge to the rim of the glass.
- bar spoon
- highball glass
- Hawthorne strainer
- cocktail shaker
- 1 oz White Rum
- 1 oz Dark Rum
- 1.5 oz Pineapple Juice
- 1.5 oz Orange Juice
- .5 oz Lime Juice
- .5 oz Grenadine
- orange wheel and maraschino cherries optional garnish
- Fill your glass up to the top with ice.
- Grab the white rum and jigger. Measure 1 oz of white rum and toss into the glass.
- Grab the dark rum and jigger. Measure 1 oz of dark rum and toss into the glass.
- Grab the pineapple juice and jigger. Measure 1.5 oz of pineapple juice and toss into the glass.
- Grab the orange juice and jigger. Measure 1.5 oz of orange juice and toss into the glass.
- Grab the lime juice and jigger. Measure .5 oz of lime juice and toss into the glass.
- Grab the grenadine and jigger. Measure .5 oz of grenadine and toss into the glass.
- To mix the drink, you can use a bar spoon or the shaker:1) Bar spoon method: Place the spoon in the glass and stir well.2) Shaker method: Gently toss the contents of the glass into the shaker. Then toss it from the shaker back into the glass.
- Fill the shaker with ice also.
- Measure all the ingredients into the shaker.
- Put the shaker lid on and shake for 15 seconds.
- Replace the shaker lid with a strainer and then pour into glass.