If you’re looking for a delicious cocktail to serve at your next party, whip up this tequila punch. It is fizzy, sweet and full of fruit flavor that is sure to wow your guests.
What is Tequila Punch?
Tequila punch is a combination of tequila, lemonade, ginger ale, fruit punch, triple sec or control and orange juice. It basically tastes like a bubbly fruit punch margarita.
Generally, punches are made from a liquor, fruits or spices, juices and some type of carbonated beverage. They are typically made as large batch drinks to be served at parties or large get togethers.
Tequila is a clear liquor that is made from the Blue agave plant. It comes in a few different variations such as silver tequila and gold tequila. The differences are associated with how the tequila is aged. Tequila in general has a slightly sweet and spicy flavor. For this punch, silver tequila is recommended.
Fruit punch is a drink made from a combination of different fruit juices. You can make your own or buy it at the store. The fruit juices used can vary, But some common ones are pineapple juice, apple juice and grape juice.
Ginger ale is a type of soda. Of course, like all sodas, this means it is carbonated or fizzy. It is flavored with ginger so it has a little bit of a tangy bite to it. And it is very sweet.
Of course, orange juice and lemonade are sweet and slightly tart citrus juices. It’s best to use orange juice that is pulp free otherwise you are cocktail can be a little grainy and texture. Also, it’s best to use fresh orange juice and fresh lemonade.
You can use either triple sec or Cointreau in this cocktail. Both are orange liqueurs. Both are sweet and full of citrus flavor.
When to mix this drink
The strength goes well for multitude of different occasions such as:
- large celebrations
- New Year’s Eve
- retirement parties
Since this cocktail is not an IBA standard, there are several ways to make it. Here are a few different variations:
- try different tequila. We used silver tequila to make this punch. It is a little less of a strong flavor than a gold or other type of tequila. However, if you prefer a different tequila flavor you could certainly add that.
- change up fruit juice. You could really use any combination of fruit juices you want for this punch. Some other options include pineapple juice and cranberry juice.
- Use a different soda. Main requirement for a punch is that it has a type of soda in it. However, you could substitute ginger ale for a lemon lime soda or even just a soda water.
- Use Grand Marnier. Instead of triple sec or Cointreau, you could use Grand Marnier which is also an orange liqueur.
How to make this drink:
This drink is relatively easy to make. However, due to the fact that it has six ingredients and is often times made in large batches, you do need about 10 minutes to stir it up.
- 1 cup tequila or 1.5 oz of each for a single serving
- 1 cup lemonade
- 1 cup gingerale or sprite
- 1 cup fruit punch
- ⅓ cup triple sec or Cointreau (.25 oz for single serving)
- ⅔ cup of orange juice. ( .5 oz for single serving)
You can make this cocktail as a single serving or as a large punch bowl. The instructions and amounts below are for a single serving.
However, if you want to make an entire punch bowl, you’ll measure your ingredients as listed above and then pour them all into a punch bowl filled with ice and stir well with a ladle.
note: You can build this drink either straight in a cocktail shaker or in the glass. The instructions below build it in a cocktail shaker. However, if you would like to build it in the glass, you simply pour your ingredients into the glass instead of the shaker and then use a bar spoon to stir it.
Fill your cocktail shaker and glass up with ice.
Measure out .5 ounces of orange juice with your jigger. Pour the orange juice into your shaker.
Measure out 1 and ½ oz of lemonade with your jigger. Pour the lemonade into your shaker with the orange juice.
Measure out 1 ½ oz of fruit punch with your jigger. For the fruit punch into your shaker with the lemonade and orange juice.
Measure out 0.25 oz of Cointreau or triple sec with your jigger. Pour it into your shaker.
Measure out 1 and ½ oz of tequila with your jigger. Pour the tequila into your shaker.
Measure out 1 and ½ oz of ginger ale with your jigger. Pour the ginger ale into your shaker.
Place the top on your shaker and shake it gently. You only want to give it a shaker to otherwise your ginger ale will fizz up.
Remove the top from your shaker and place the hawthorn strainer over the top of the shaker. Then, strain your drink from the shaker into your glass.
Note: If you made your drink straight in your glass, this is when you would either use a bar spoon to gently stir it or you would carefully toss the contents of your glass into your shaker and then from the shaker back to the glass to mix it up.
Garnishes on this cocktail are optional. However, adding fruit slices to punches is quite common and helps to emphasize the fruit flavors.
Some good options are strawberries, lemons, or oranges. Simply slice up the fruit and either place it directly in the glass or on the rim of the glass.
- bar spoon
- cocktail shaker
- Hurricane glass
- Punch Bowl
- 1 cup Tequila or 1.5 oz for a single serving
- 1 cup Lemonade or 1.5 oz for a single serving
- 1 cup Gingerale or Sprite or 1.5 oz for a single serving
- 1 cup Fruit Punch or 1.5 oz for a single serving
- .5 cup Triple Sec/Cointreau or .25 triple sec & .5 of Orange Juice .75 oz for a single serving
- Slices of any fruit optional garnish
- Gather up everything needed to make the drink.Decide if you are making a single serving or a whole punch bowl.
- Fill your hurricane glass with ice. Or, if doing a whole punch bowl, add ice to it.
- note: if making a punch bowl full, use 1 cup of everything below; and .5 cup of Triple Sec/Cointreau.
- Measure out 1.5 oz of Tequila. Toss it into the glass.
- Measure out 1.5 oz of Lemonade. Toss it into the glass.
- Measure out 1.5 oz of Gingerale or Sprite. Toss it into the glass.
- Measure out 1.5 oz of Fruit Punch. Toss it into the glass.
- Measure out .75 oz of Triple Sec or Cointreau. Toss it into the glass.
- To mix the drink, you have two options:1) Take a bar spoon and stir the drink well.2) Toss the drink from your glass into the shaker and from the shaker back into the glass.
- Garnishes are optional. Any type of sliced fruit either in the punch bowl, glass or on the rim of the glass works well. Favorites are: strawberries, oranges, lemons and limes.