Occassional Cocktails may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
If you’re looking for a sweet easy and delicious cocktail for your next large get together, whip up this vodka punch. With only five ingredients, this sweet and fizzy drink is sure to please your guests.
What is Vodka Punch?
Vodka punch is a combination of vodka, fruit punch, ginger ale, orange juice and lemonade. The resulting cocktail has a strong fruit punch flavor with hints of orange juice and a little bite from the vodka topped off with a bubbly fizz of soda.
In general, punches come in varying flavors and ingredients. They typically involve an alcohol, one or more fruit juices and some type of carbonated beverage. They are then made in large batches any punch bowl for parties or other large to get togethers.
Vodka is a liquor that is made from distilling fermented grains or even sometimes potatoes. It is a clear liquor that tends to be rather tasteless or neutral and flavor. This means that when it is added to cocktails sometimes it will give a little alcoholic bite, but otherwise the cocktails tend to take on the flavors of the other ingredients involved.
Fruit punch is a type of juice that is made from seven different fruits. The fruits can vary, but oftentimes you will see Apple, grape, pineapple or pears. Store-bought fruit punch works fine for this cocktail, but if you want to get extra fancy you can use homemade fruit punch.
Orange juice and lemonade are both citrus juices. They are both sweet yet a little tart and tangy. The best kind of orange juice to use for this cocktail is pulp free. Orange juice with pulp tends to be a little grainy when mixed in the cocktail. It’s best to use fresh orange juice and lemonade.
Ginger ale is a type of soda. Which, of course, means that it has carbonation added to it. It is also flavored with ginger. Resulting drink is sweet and bubbly.
This sweet and fun punch can be used at many different occasions such as:
- super bowl parties
- New Year’s Eve
- holiday parties
- large celebrations or get togethers
Since punch itself and vodka punch in particular are not IBA standard drinks, there are several different variations you can make. A few include:
- mix up the fruit juice. You can really use most any type of fruit juice that is your favorite. You could substitute in pineapple juice, cranberry juice or even apple juice just depending on what flavors you like the most.
- Use a flavored vodka. If you would like the flavor of the vodka to stand out a little in the drink try a flavored vodka such as lemonade vodka, vodka Citron or strawberry vodka.
- switch up the soda. Part of what makes punch punch is the fizzy soda. However, you could substitute ginger ale for plain soda water or even for a lemon lime soda if you desire.
How to make this drink:
This drink can be whipped up relatively fast, despite the fact that you need five different ingredients. All you really have to do with the ingredients are pour them together and stir them up.
- 1 cup vodka or 1.5 oz of each per serving
- 1 cup fruit punch
- 1 cup lemonade
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup gingerale
Since this is a punch, it will often times be made in a large batch and a punch bowl. However, you can scale the ingredients back and make it as a single serving as well. The instructions below are for single serving.
However, if you’re making it in a punch bowl you’ll add all of your ingredients directly to the bowl instead of a single glass and then stir the bowl with a ladle.
Grab some ice and fill your hurricane glass almost to the top with it.
Using your jigger measure at 1.5 oz of vodka. Toss the vodka into your hurricane glass.
Using your jigger and measure out 1.5 oz of ginger ale. Tasha ginger ale into the glass with the vodka.
Using your jigger measure out 1.5 oz of lemonade. Toss the lemonade in the glass with the ginger ale and vodka.
Using your jigger measure at 1.5 oz of fruit punch. Toss the fruit punch in your glass with your lemonade, ginger ale and vodka.
Using your jigger measure at 1.5 oz of orange juice. Toss the orange juice in the glass as well.
Next, you want to get your drink well stirred. To do this, use your bar spoon insert it into the glass and stir it up. Make sure to do so gently since the soda is added or it will fizz.
Garnishes are optional for this cocktail. However, you can certainly add one.
Good choices would be an orange wheel, a slice of pineapple or a lemon wedge. You can add the fruit either to the room of your glass or toss a few slices directly into your glass.You can add the fruit either to the room of your glass or toss a few slices directly into your glass.
- bar spoon
- Hurricane glass
- Punch Bowl
- 1 cup Vodka for single serving 1.5 oz
- 1 cup Fruit Punch for single serving 1.5 oz
- 1 cup Lemonade for single serving 1.5 oz
- 1 cup Orange Juice for single serving 1.5 oz
- 1 cup Gingerale for single serving 1.5 oz
- Slice of any fruit optional garnish
- Get together all the ingredients that you need. Decide if you are making a single serving or an entire punch bowl.
- Fill up your single hurricane glass or punch bowl with ice.
- Note: if you are making a punch bowl full, use 1 cup of all ingredients in steps below and toss them straight to your punch bowl.
- Use your jigger and measure 1.5 oz of vodka, then toss it to your glass.
- Use your jigger and measure 1.5 oz of fruit punch, then toss it to your glass.
- Use your jigger and measure 1.5 oz of orange juice, then toss it to your glass.
- Use your jigger and measure 1.5 oz of lemonade, then toss it to your glass.
- Use your jigger and measure 1.5 oz of gingerale, then toss it to your glass.
- Grab a bar spoon, insert into the glass and stir your drink well.
- Garnishes are optional, slice up any type of fruit: strawberries, oranges, lemons and limes are good options and place a slice or two on the rim or straight into the glass.