Occassional Cocktails may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
If you’re looking for a dramatic centerpiece cocktail for your next party or get together, try out the shark bite drink. This cocktail is perfect for Halloween parties or other get togethers that need a theatrical drink.
What is a Shark Bite Drink?
A shark bite drink is a combination of spiced rum, light rum, blue curaçao, sweet and sour mix and grenadine. The resulting drink is a bright blue color with drops of red which look like blood floating in water, which is where the drink gets its name from.
This cocktail, despite its gruesome appearance, has a spicy rum flavor that is tempered with the tangy citrus of the blue curaçao and sour mix.
Rum is a liquor that is made from fermenting sugarcane or sugarcane molasses. Light rum is a clear rum which is not been aged. It tends to have a lighter, sweet flavor. Spiced rum is an aged rum that has spices added. The spices vary dependent on the brand, but some common ones are pepper, allspice and cinnamon.
Blue curaçao, as you might expect, is a bright blue liqueur. The flavor of this liqueur is full of orange and citrus. Clocks in at around 24% alcohol by volume.
Store-bought sweet and sour mix tends to be and almost neon yellow with a slight green tint. It is a combination of sugar or simple syrup ( hence the sweet) and either lemon or lime juice ( hence the sour).
Grenadine is a bright red kind of thick syrup. It is made from pomegranates. The flavor is extremely sweet and some people liken it to that of cherries.
Occasions to mix it up
This drink is a centerpiece drink and is perfect for occasions such as:
- Halloween parties
- movie nights
- casual get togethers
- Costume parties
- murder mystery dinners
There are a few ways you can mix this drink up including:
- Use only one type of rum. Using both light and spiced rum adds a more complex flavor to the drink. But, if you prefer one over the other or perhaps only have one kind that will work fine.
- Make your own sweet and sour mix. Instead of using the store-bought sour mix, mix up your own with a little sugar, water (or simple syrup) and lemon or lime juice.
- Use a dropper. To add the grenadine, we dropped it with a bar spoon. However, if you want to be a little more precise, you can use a food coloring dropper or other food safe dropper.
How to make this drink:
Despite its dramatic look, this simple five ingredient cocktail can be mixed up in 5 minutes or less. Just make sure to carefully add your grenadine to get the correct coloring.
- .75 oz spiced rum
- .75 oz light rum
- .5 oz blue curacao
- 1.5 oz sour mix
- 3 -5 drop grenadine
The first one to start out by gathering everything you need to make your drink. This includes blue curacao, grenadine, sweet and sour mix, spiced rum, light rum, a bar spoon, rocks glass and jigger and ice.
Grab your ice and your rocks glass and fill your glass almost to the top with ice.
Use your jigger to measure 5 oz of blue curaçao. Carefully toss your blue curaçao into your rocks glass.
Use your jigger to measure .75 oz of spiced from. Carefully toss your spiced rum into your rocks glass with your blue curaçao.
Use your checker to measure 1.5 oz of sweet and sour mix. Carefully toss that into your rocks glass with your spiced rum and blue curacao.
Use your jigger to measure .75 ounces of light rum. Carefully toss that into your rocks glass with the sweet and sour mix, spiced rum and blue curaçao.
If you wish, give your drink a stir or two with your bar spoon.
Then, it’s time to add the grenadine. Put a couple drops of grenadine in your bar spoon. And then carefully sprinkle the grenadine from the spoon over the ice in the glass.
Shark Bite Drink
- bar spoon
- Rocks glass
- Hawthorne strainer
- cocktail shaker
- .75 oz Spiced Rum
- .75 oz White Rum
- .5 oz Blue Curacao
- 1.5 oz Sour Mix
- 3-5 drops Grenadine
- Start out by filling your rocks glass with ice.
- Using your jigger, measure .75 oz spiced rum. Then, dump it into the glass.
- Using your jigger, measure .75 oz white rum. Then, dump it into the glass.
- Using your jigger, measure .5 oz blue curacao. Then, dump it into the glass.
- Using your jigger, measure 1.5 oz sour mix. Then, dump it into the glass.
- If desired, use a bar spoon to give the drink a few stirs.
- Take the bar spoon and put around 5 drops of grenadine in it, then slowly drip the grenadine from the spoon over the top of the drink.