Occassional Cocktails may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
Who doesn’t love a cripity, crunchity Butterfinger? If you’re yelling “I Do!”, then you must shake up this Butterfinger shot.
What is a Butterfinger Shot?
A butterfinger shot Is a combination of butterscotch schnapps, Kahlua and Irish cream. It’s best to rim this shot with a little chocolate syrup and crumbled up Butterfingers. This shot is a creamy looking shot It has the sweet flavor of a Butterfinger.
Kahlua is a dark brown coffee flavored liqueur. It originated in Mexico. It is made from rum, sugar and arabica coffee beans.
Irish cream is a thick creamy colored liqueur. It is made from Irish whiskey, cream and sugar. It has notes of vanilla and chocolate flavors.
Butterscotch schnapps is an extremely sweet flavored liqueur. The butterscotch flavor tastes sort of like caramelized sugar and butter.
Occasions to make this shot
With its sweet candy like flavor, this shot is well suited for occasions such as:
- dessert drinks
- holiday parties
- After dinner drinks
If you’re wondering how to change this shot up, but keep its candy like flavor, try a couple of these out:
- Switch out the Kahlua. The Kahlua is one of the most popular coffee liqueurs, it’s not the only one available. You can use something like Tia Maria to substitute for it.
- Create some layers. In the recipe below, we will be shaking this shot. However, the ingredients used can actually be layered. You would put your Kahlua on bottom, schnapps in the middle and float the Irish cream on top.
- Make it a full cocktail. This can be easily transformed into a cocktail. Simply multiply your ingredients by two. Put it in a rocks glass with some chocolate syrup drizzled around the inside of the glass.
- Amp up the liquor content. If you want this one to be a little stronger, use some regular vodka to add an alcoholic bite without affecting the flavor too much.
How to make this drink:
You only need five minutes to get this shot ready to go. The most time consuming part of this shot is getting the rim ready to go, but even that isn’t too difficult.
- 1 oz kahlua
- 1 oz butterscotch schnapps
- 1 oz baileys
- crushed butterfinger for garnish
Start out by gathering up everything necessary for this shot including shot glass, jigger, Hawthorne strainer, bar spoon, ice, Kahlua, Baileys and butterscotch schnapps.
Grab the ice and your shaker. Toss the ice into your shaker until it is almost filled.
Grab your jigger and Kahlua. Measure out 1 oz of Kahlua using the jigger. Pour that into the shaker.
Grab the jigger and butterscotch schnapps. Measure out 1 oz of butterscotch schnapps using the jigger. Pour that into the shaker.
Grab the jigger and Irish cream. Measure out 1 oz of Irish cream using the jigger. Pour that into shaker.
Grab the shaker lid and pop it on top of the shaker. Shake everything up for around 15 seconds.
Next, get your shot glass garnished. Pour some chocolate syrup in a layer on a saucer. Place your shot glass rim down into the chocolate syrup and roll it back and forth so that the rim is coated.
On a second saucer, crumble up a butterfinger in a thin layer. Then, turn the syrup coated rim of the shot glass down into the Butterfinger crumbles and rock it back and forth so that they coat the rim.
Pop the top off of the shaker and replace it with the strainer. Pour your shot from the shaker into your shot glass. Enjoy!
- Hawthorne strainer
- cocktail shaker
- shot glass
- 1 oz Kahlua
- 1 oz Butterscotch Schnapps
- 1 oz Baileys
- Crushed Butterfinger (optional garnish)
- Chocolate Syrup (optional garnish)
- Get all the ingredients and equipment listed above gathered together.
- Toss some ice into your cocktail shaker.
- Pick up the Kahlua. Measure out 1 oz of Kahlua with the jigger and pour into shaker.
- Pick up the butterscotch schnapps. Measure out 1 oz of butterscotch schnapps with the jigger and pour into shaker.
- Pick up the irish cream. Measure out 1 oz of irish cream with the jigger and pour into shaker.
- Put the top of the shaker on and shake well. This takes about 15 seconds.
- Grab the butterfinger and saucer. Gently crush the butterfinger while it is still in the wrapper. You can use a kitchen mallet or your hand to do this.
- Put a little chocolate syrup on one half of the saucer. Open the butterfinger and pour the crumbles on the other half of the saucer.
- Take the shot glass and roll the rim in the chocolate syrup so that the whole rim is lightly coated.
- Then, roll the shot glass rim in the crumbled butterfinger until the whole rim is lightly coated.
- Remove the shaker lid and place the strainer over top of the shaker.
- Pour the shot into the shot glass.