Occassional Cocktails may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
If you’re a whiskey lover, then this shot is for you. This three wise men shot is a cocktail that is full of whiskey only; no mixers, no liqueurs just whiskey.
What is a Three Wise Men Shot?
The three Wise men shot is a combination of Jack Daniel’s Tennessee whiskey, Jim beam Kentucky bourbon and Johnnie Walker Scotch. It is named due to the fact that the three liquors used all are named after men who created them.
The resulting shot is very strong, but has a nice combination of the different flavor profiles from each whiskey. It has oaky undertones with a little bit of bitterness and it goes down smooth.
Jim beam is a type of Kentucky bourbon. It has an oaky and vanilla flavor. The oakiness comes from the fact that it is aged for 4 years in oak barrels (source).
Jack Daniels is the type of Tennessee whiskey. It also has oaky flavors. But has has some spicy undertones like cloves and cinnamon added in.
Johnnie Walker is a type of Scotch. It has a smokey flavor finish with undertones of spice, fruit and vanilla (source).
When to Make This Drink:
Seeing as how this shot is pure liquor it is a very strong shot. You might want to serve it at times like:
- bachelor parties
- college nights
Though you don’t want to change too much in this drink, there are a few things you can try:
- Use flavored Jack Daniels. Jack Daniels comes in a few different flavors including honey. If you want to add a little extra flavor to the drink try out a flavored Jack Daniels.
- Use top tier bottles. Since the only thing in this drink are the three liquors if you can, spring for the top shelf versions.
- Serve it on the rocks. Instead of shaking it in the shaker, put it in a rocks glass and serve it over ice.
- Serve it neat. Skip the cocktail shaker and ice all together. Simply add your three whiskeys directly to a rocks glass and sip.
- Add wild turkey. Adding a equal part wild turkey results in the three wise men go hunting shot.
- Add tequila. Add Jose cuervo to make it the three wise men go to Mexico.
- Serve as three separate shots. Place 1 oz of each whiskey in a separate shot glass, line them up and take them one after the other.
How to make this drink:
With only three ingredients this shot is super easy to make. If you have 5 minutes or less you can get it whipped up. Toss everything in your cocktail shaker, shake it together and get to sipping.
- .5 oz Johnnie walker scotch
- .5 oz Jack daniels
- .5 oz Jim beam
Collect everything you need for this shot including Johnny Walker Scotch, Jack Daniels, Jim beam, cocktail shaker, ice, Hawthorne strainer, jigger and shot glass.
Fill up the cocktail shaker with ice.
Pick up the Jim beam. Measure out .5 oz with the jigger and then dump that into the cocktail shaker.
Pick up the Jack Daniels. Measure out 0.5 oz with a jigger and then dump that into the cocktail shaker.
Pick up the Johnnie Walker. Measure out 0.5 oz with a jigger and then dump that into the cocktail shaker.
Place the top on the cocktail shaker. Shake it up for around 30 seconds or until the outside of the shaker becomes icy and cold.
Remove the lid of the cocktail shaker and place the Hawthorne strainer over top. Carefully pour your shot from the shaker into the shot glass.
Three Wise Men Shot
- cocktail shaker
- Hawthorne strainer
- shot glass
- .5 oz Johnnie Walker Scotch
- .5 oz Jack Daniels
- .5 oz Jim Beam
- Gather up all the equipment and ingredients listed.
- Take some ice and dump it into the shaker until the shaker is filled to the top.
- Take the Johnnie Walker Scotch. Using the jigger, measure .5 oz and toss into the shaker.
- Take the Jack Daniels. Using the jigger, measure .5 oz and toss into the shaker.
- Take the Jim Beam. Using the jigger, measure .5 oz and toss into the shaker.
- Take the lid for the shaker and cover the shaker with it.
- Shake until the shaker is cold on the outside. Typically about 15 seconds.
- Take the lid off the shaker. Put the hawthorne strainer on top of the shaker.
- Strain the drink into the shot glass.