Occassional Cocktails may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
The whiskey crush is a perfectly refreshing cocktail for summer time. It has a sweet citrus flavor with a little soda fizz.
What is a Whiskey Crush?
A whiskey crush is a combination of whiskey, Sprite, triple sec and orange juice. On the front end of this drink you taste the sweet citrus fizz from the Sprite and then the orange juice flavors start to come through and on the tail end there’s a bite of caramel from the whiskey.
Whiskey is a dark colored liquor that is made from distilling fermented grains such as rye or wheat. There are several varieties of whiskey such as Irish whiskey, Tennessee whiskey and bourbon. Each have a slightly different flavor profile, all tend to have a caramel, vanilla and slightly oaky sweet flavor.
Sprite is a type of soda. Like all other sodas it is carbonated which makes it busy and bubbly. It is a lemon lime flavor.
Triple sec is a clear liqueur.triple sec is a clear liqueur. It has a strong orange flavor as it is made by soaking orange peels in a base spirit.
The best orange juice to use in this cocktail is one that is pulp free and as fresh as possible. If you use orange juice with pulp it can lead to a slightly grainy less smooth texture.
When to mix this drink
But it’s bright tropical color and sweet refreshing flavor this drink is well suited for several occasions such as:
- afternoon cocktails
- spring and summer get togethers
- poolside or beach party
Variations of this drink
Though this drink is awesomely delicious as is, there are a few ways to change it up including:
- Switch out the triple sec. Triple sec is not the only orange liqueur around. Try out a different orange liqueur such as Cointreau or Grand Marnier.
- Make it a diet. Instead of using regular Sprite, try something like Sprite zero.
- Substitute the Sprite. In fact, you don’t have to use Sprite for this cocktail. Any lemon lime soda will do such as 7 up.
- Make a Jameson Orange crush. If you use Jameson’s Irish whiskey instead of just any old whiskey, you will make a Jameson Orange crush.
How to make this drink:
With four simple and easy to find ingredients you can easily have this drink prepared in 5 minutes or less. It’s just a matter of tossing everything together and getting it mixed up.
- 1.5 oz whiskey
- .5 oz triple sec
- 3 oz orange juice
- 2 oz sprite
To begin making your drink make sure you have everything needed including a highball glass, a jigger, orange juice, whiskey, Sprite, triple sec, ice and a bar spoon or cocktail shaker.
Take your highball glass and fill it almost to the tippy top with ice.
Grab up your orange juice and your jigger. Measure out 3 oz of orange juice and toss it into your highball glass.
Grab up your whiskey and your jigger. Measure out one and a half ounces of whiskey and toss it into your highball glass with the orange juice.
Grab up your triple sec and jigger. Measure out half an ounce of triple sec and toss it into your highball glass with the whiskey and orange juice.
Grab up your Sprite and your jigger. Measure out 2 oz of Sprite and toss it into your highball glass with a triple sec, whiskey and orange juice.
If you would like to skip measuring the Sprite you can do so. Simply take the Sprite and top your drink off with it.
Finally, make sure your drink is well mixed. To do this, insert your bar spoon into your glass. Then give it a couple gentle swirls.
Whiskey Crush Cocktail
- bar spoon
- highball glass
- 1.5 oz Whiskey
- .5 oz Triple Sec
- 3 oz Orange Juice
- 2 oz Sprite or any lemon-lime soda
- Get all the ingredients and equipment gathered up.
- Take some ice and fill the glass up with it.
- Take the jigger and measure 1.5 oz whiskey. Dump that into the glass.
- Take the jigger and measure .5 oz triple sec. Dump that into the glass
- Take the jigger and measure 3 oz orange juice. Dump that into the glass
- Take the jigger and measure 2 oz sprite. Dump that into the glass.note: you can also just top the glass off with sprite instead of measuring it if you desire.
- Take a bar spoon and gently stir the drink up, enjoy!