Occassional Cocktails may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
If you love the citrusy flavor of a screwdriver cocktail then you have to try the screw up drink. This citrus flavored cocktail also has an extra boost of fizz.
What is a Screw Up Drink?
A screw up drink is essentially a screwdriver with a lemon lime soda added in. It is a combination of vodka, orange juice and 7UP. It has a sweet yet slightly tart citrus flavor combined with the fizzy bubbles from the soda.
Vodka is a clear liquor. It is made from distilling fermented grains such as rye or even potatoes. It tends to have a neutral or almost tasteless flavor except the bite of the alcohol. It is known for blending in well and allowing the other flavors added in to cocktails to shine.
The best orange juice to use for this cocktail is pulp free and fresh. If you use orange juice with pulp it can make the texture of the drink rather grainy instead of smooth.
7-Up is a type of soda. Therefore, like other sodas, it has carbonation or fizzy bubbles. It has a lemon lime flavor to it.
When to make it
This cocktail has a refreshing and sweet taste. Those lend to making it appropriate to serve at many occasions such as:
- poolside parties
- afternoon sipping
- any spring or summer get together
If you need to change this drink up a little, there are a few possible variations to try:
- Use sprite. Sprite and 7-Up are both lemon lime sodas. They do have slightly different flavor combinations, but Sprite will result in a similar flavored cocktail.
- try vodka citron. Instead of using a plain vodka, try vodka Citron which is a orange or citrus flavored vodka. It matches well with the orange juice.
- Make it a diet. Instead of using regular 7 up, use diet 7Up or Sprite zero if you’re watching your calories or sugar content.
How to make this drink:
With only three ingredients this drink can be mixed up in 3 minutes or less. All you need to do is toss your ingredients together and give them a good stir.
- 1 oz Vodka
- 1 oz Orange Juice
- 4 oz 7up
Begin making your drink by gathering your vodka, 7 up, orange juice, jigger, highball glass and cocktail shaker.
note: If you’ll be adding an optional garnish make sure to grab a lemon or lime also.
Grab the ice and use it to fill your highball glass almost the top.
Grab your jigger and your vodka. Use the jigger to measure 1 oz of vodka and toss it into your highball glass.
If you’d like to make a slightly stronger drink, you can add 2 oz of vodka instead of 1 oz.
Grab your jigger and your orange juice. You should take her to measure 1 oz of orange juice and toss it into your glass with your vodka.
The vodka to orange juice ratio should be one to one. So, if you use 2 oz of vodka you should also use 2 oz of orange juice.
Grab your jigger and your 7UP. Measure out 4 oz of 7UP and toss that into your glass with your orange juice and vodka.
If you prefer to skip measuring at this step you certainly can. If you do this, simply fill the glass to the top with the 7 up.
You have two ways to mix this drink together. The first way is by dumping the contents of the glass into your shaker and then from your shaker back into the glass.
The other way is by using your bar spoon. To do this, place the bar spoon in the glass and then give everything a couple good stirs.
If you choose to add an optional garnish now is the time to do so. Grab a lemon or a lime and cut it into slices.
Take one slice and cut a small notch in the pulp of the fruit. Then use that notch to secure your wedge on the rim of your glass.
Screw up Drink
- highball glass
- cocktail shaker
- bar spoon
- 1 oz Vodka
- 1 oz Orange Juice pulp free works best
- 4 oz 7up
- Lemon or Lime Wedge optional garnish
- Get all the things you need to mix your drink up.
- Fill the highball glass up with ice.
- Grab the vodka and measure 1 oz with the jigger. Pour that into the glass.
- Grab the Orange juice and measure 1 oz with the jigger. Pour that into the glass.
- Grab the 7up and measure 4 oz with the jigger. Pour that into the glass.
- Stir your drink well. There are two ways to do this:1) Use a bar spoon, insert it into the glass and stir well.2) Gently dump the contents of the glass into the shaker and then back into the glass
- optional garnish – cut a lemon or lime into slices, take one slice and cut a notch in the pulp, use that notch to place the wedge on the rim of the glass.