Occassional Cocktails may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
Looking to add a little pizzazz to your next 4th of July party? Layer up this fabulous looking bomb pop shot. Not only does it taste delicious, but it is also a centerpiece cocktail with its visually stunning colors.
What is a Bomb Pop Shot?
A bomb Pop shot is a layered shot with grenadine on the bottom, toasted coconut liqueur in the middle and blue curacao on the top. This stunning red white and blue colored shot tastes like sweet cherries with a hint of citrus and a lingering warm coconut flavor.
This shot is so visually stunning due to the fact that it has three different color layers. Layered shots and cocktails are made by using heavier and lighter liquid densities. Other similar layered cocktails are the red, white and blue shot the rainbow cocktail and the superman cocktail.
Essentially what this means, is it certain liquids are later than others and therefore can sit on top of them. The heavier the liquid the further on the bottom of the cocktail it will have to be.
When to Make This Drink:
This fun and festive themed drink can be served up for get togethers like:
- 4th of July celebrations
- Summer barbecues
- Movie nights
- Memorial Day
You have to be careful when changing any of the ingredients in this cocktail or the layering won’t work correctly. However, here are a few things you can try:
- Reverse the colors. Use a red cherry vodka to go as the top layer, pina colada as the middle and blue curacao as the bottom.
- Replace the middle layer. Use a hard lemonade, white chocolate liqueur or a clear flavored vodka as the center layer.
- Replace the Blue curaçao. You can use something like hypnotiq which will also sit on top of the toasted coconut.
How to make this drink:
Even though this drink only has three ingredients, you do need a steady slow hand in order to get the best layering. Give yourself at least 5 minutes to get this one together.
- 1 oz Grenadine
- 1 oz toasted coconut liqueur
- 1 oz Blue curacao
Gather your items for the shot including blue curacao, toasted coconut liqueur, grenadine, bar spoon, jigger and shot glass.
Use a jigger to measure 1 oz of grenadine.
Pour the grenadine into the bottom of the shot glass.
Use a jigger to measure 1 oz of toasted coconut liqueur. Place the bar spoon upside down just above the grenadine.
Very slowly pour the toasted coconut liqueur over the back of the bar spoon so that it sits on top of the grenadine.
Pro tip: If you want more control over the pour, you can use a pour spout instead of measuring the coconut liqueur with a jigger first.
Use a jigger to measure 1 oz of blue curaçao. Place the bar spoon upside down in the shot glass just above the toasted coconut liqueur.
Very slowly pour the blue curaçao over the back of the bar spoon so that it sits on top of the toasted coconut liqueur.
Pro tip: here again you can use a poor spout if you want a little more control over the rate at which the liquor goes into the glass.
Bomb Pop Shot
- bar spoon
- shot glass
- 1 oz Grenadine
- 1 oz Toasted coconut liqueur
- 1 oz Blue Curacao
- Start by measuring out 1 oz of grenadine. Toss that into the bottom of the shot glass.
- Take the vodka citron and measure 1 oz of it using the jigger.
- Flip the bar spoon upside down just above the grenadine in the shot glass. Carefully pour the vodka citron over the spoon so that it lays on top of the grenadine.
- Take the blue curacao and measure 1 oz of it using the jigger.
- Flip the bar spoon upside down again, this time above the vodka citron. Carefully pour the blue curacao over the spoon so that it lays on top of the vodka.