Occassional Cocktails may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
Want to add a little extra patriotic flair to your next 4th of July celebration? Layer up this pretty red, white and blue shot in your guests are sure to be dazzled.
What is a Red, White and Blue Shot?
A red white and blue shot is a layered shot made from equal parts grenadine (on the bottom), peach schnapps (in the middle) and blue Curacao (on the top). This shot has a sweet and fruity flavor.
Layered shots like this, the bomb pop shot, The Superman cocktail or the traffic light shot are possible due to the fact that liquids have different densities. Liquids with heavier densities will sit on the bottom of the drink while the lightest liquids will float on top.
Though layered shots look very fancy and difficult, they’re not too hard to make as long as you go slow and steady. The key to making a good layered shot is to pour your liquid very slowly and take your time so that you get a clear definition between each layer.
When to Make This Drink:
This patriotic drink can be served up for occasions such as:
- Memorial Day
- 4th of July party
- Movie nights
- Summer barbecues
You have to be careful when substituting ingredients for this shot, because you need to make sure they will still layer properly. However, here are a few ideas to try:
- Use hypnotiq. Hypnotiq has a similar density to blue curacao and should be able to be layered on top of this drink.
- Substitute the peach schnapps. Most coconut rums, peppermint schnapps and cinnamon schnapps will have the right density to sit in this middle layer. Though densities can vary by brand.
How to make this drink:
Although this shot only has three ingredients it does take a little time to make because you have to go slow and steady when you’re doing a layering. Give yourself 5 to 8 minutes to get this one ready.
- .75 oz Blue curacao
- .75 oz Peach schnapps
- .75 oz Grenadine
Get together everything you need for this shot including bar spoon, jigger, shot glass, grenadine, peach schnapps and blue curacao.
Using the jigger, measure 0.75 oz of grenadine. Then, toss that into the bottom of the shot glass.using the jigger, measure 0.75 oz of grenadine. Then, toss that into the bottom of the shot glass.
Using the jigger, measure out 0.75 oz of peach schnapps. Place the bar spoon upside down in the shot glass just above the grenadine.
Very slowly, pour the peach schnapps over the back of the bar spoon so that it lays in the shot glass on top of the grenadine.
Using the jigger, measure out .75 oz of blue Curacao. Place the bar spoon upside down in the shot glass just above the peach schnapps.
Very slowly pour the Blue Curacao over the back of the bar spoon so that it sits in the shot glass on top of the peach schnapps.
Red White and Blue Shot
- shot glass
- bar spoon
- .75 oz Grenadine
- .75 oz Peach Schnapps
- .75 oz Blue Curacao
- To get started, use the jigger to measure out .75 oz of grenadine. Toss the grenadine into the bottom of the shot glass.
- Next, use the jigger to measure .75 oz of peach schnapps.
- Take the bar spoon and turn it upside down in the shot glass just above the grenadine. Carefully pour the peach schnapps over the back of the spoon into the glass. The peach schnapps should sit on top of the grenadine.
- Next, use the jigger to measure .75 oz of blue curacao.
- Take the bar spoon and turn it upside down in the shot glass just above the peach schnapps. Carefully pour the blue curacao over the back of the spoon into the glass. The blue curacao should sit on top of the peach schnapps.