Occassional Cocktails may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
This bright and colorful Superman cocktail is the perfect centerpiece to your next get together. Not only is it superhero themed, it also tastes delicious.
What is a Superman Cocktail?
A Superman cocktail is a combination of grenadine, blue Curacao, lemon lime soda, vodka and the glass is rimmed with red sanding sugar and topped with a lemon twist. This layered drink is red on the bottom and blue on the top just like the colors that Superman wears.
The way that drink layering works is liquids with heavier densities sit on the bottom and liquids with lighter densities can sit on top. You must very slowly pour the top ingredients over the back of a bar spoon so that they layer cleanly on the liquid below.
The red layer in this drink is made by grenadine. Grenadine is a bright red very sweet pomegranate flavored syrup. Though some people like in its flavor to cherry.
The blue and this drink comes from blue Curacao. Blue curaçao is a sweet orange flavored liqueur that is made by steeping orange peels and a neutral spirit and then adding blue food coloring.
The vodka in this cocktail provides the majority of the alcoholic content. It does not have much of a flavor added all therefore you don’t need to go for a top shelf vodka in this one.
When to Make This Drink:
With its bright colors and superhero theme, this drink is a fun addition for times like:
- Birthday parties
- Bachelor and bachelorette parties
- Movie nights
- Signature drink
There are actually several ways to change the string up. Some include:
- Make it a mocktail. Cut out the alcoholic content by using non-alcoholic blue curacao and leave out the vodka altogether.
- Change the vodka. Use any other clear liquor that you prefer such as rum or tequila.
- Substitute the Sprite. You can use club soda or seltzer water instead of Sprite if you desire.
- Make it a shot. Instead of making a whole cocktail, you can cut the ingredients back and serve this as a shot.
- Add in a middle yellow layer. You can use a yellow liqueur like banana liqueur if you would like a third layer to this drink.
- Ramp up the alcohol content. Substitute UV blue vodka for the blue curacao if you’d like to keep the blue color, but add more alcohol.
How to make this drink:
With the layering, glass rimming, and lemon twist this drink does take a little time to make. Give yourself 8 to 10 minutes and you can have this one ready.
- 2 oz Blue curacao
- 2 oz Vodka
- 1 oz Lemon lime soda
- 1 oz Grenadine
- (optional) red sugar rim and lemon twist
Gather everything you need including saucer, simple syrup, red sanding sugar, lemon twist, cocktail shaker and Hawthorne strainer, rocks glass, ice, jigger, Sprint, blue curacao, grenadine and vodka.
Also, make sure to add ice to your cocktail shaker until this filled to the top.
First, get your glass rimmed. Spread a thin layer of simple syrup on one half of the saucer and a thin layer of red sanding sugar on the other half.
Then, place the glass rim down in the simple syrup and rock it back and forth until the rim is coated. Then, move it into the red sanding sugar and repeat.
Take your jigger and measure out 1 oz of grenadine. Pour that into the bottom of the rocks glass.
Take your jigger and measure out 2 oz of vodka. Pour that into the cocktail shaker.
Take your jigger and measure out 2 oz of blue curacao. Pour that into the cocktail shaker.
Take your jigger and measure out 1 oz of Sprite. Pour that into the cocktail shaker.
Place the top onto the cocktail shaker. Shake it up for 20 to 30 seconds or until the shaker becomes cold to the touch.
Grab a few handfuls of ice and carefully place it into the rocks glass. Try not to splash the grenadine. However, you want the glass filled to the top with ice.
Take your bar spoon and place it upside down over the ice cubes. Pour your mix from the shaker over the back of the bar spoon slowly into the glass so it sits on top of the grenadine.
Finish your drink up by making a lemon twist. Cut a small strip from a lemon peel and scrape any pulp off of it. Then, wrap the peel around a cocktail pick and hold for a few seconds.
Remove the lemon peel from the cocktail pick and it should stay twisted. Place it on the rim of your glass.
- bar spoon
- Hawthorne strainer
- cocktail shaker
- Rocks glass
- 2 oz Blue Curacao
- 2 oz Vodka
- 1 oz Sprite
- 1 oz Grenadine
- Red Sanding Sugar
- Lemon Twist
- Toss some ice into the cocktail shaker.
- Rim your glass:1) Put a thin layer of simple syrup on one half of a saucer.2) Put a thin layer of red sanding sugar on one half of a saucer.3) Turn the rocks glass rim down into the simple syrup and roll it around to cover the rim.4) Then, put the rim of the glass into the red sanding sugar and roll it around to cover the rim.
- Measure 1 oz of grenadine with the jigger. Dump the grenadine into the glass.
- Measure 2 oz of Blue curacao with the jigger. Dump it into the shaker.
- Measure 2 oz of vodka with the jigger. Dump it into the shaker.
- Measure 1 oz of sprite with the jigger. Dump it into the shaker.
- Put the shaker top on and shake it up for about 15 – 20 seconds.
- Toss a few ice cubes into the rocks glass.
- Pick up the bar spoon and turn it upside down in the rocks glass.
- Slowly pour the drink from the shaker, over the back of the bar spoon into the glass. The mix will sit on top of the grenadine.
- If desired, add a lemon twist. 1) Cut a small strip of a lemon peel.2) Make sure to clean all pulp off the peel.3) Wrap the piece of peel around a cocktail pick.4) Remove from the pick and it will be twisted, add it to the rim of the glass.