Looking for a light fizzy and fruity drink? Try out this super easy to make brandy and tonic. This refreshing sipper is perfect for spring and summertime occasions.
What is a brandy and tonic?
A brandy and tonic is a simple two ingredient highball made from brandy and tonic water and and the sweet fruity flavors of the brandy mixed with the slight bitter fizz of the tonic.
Brandy is a very sweet and fruity flavored liquor. It is typically made from distilling either wine or fermented fruits. The person alcohol by volume and Brandy can vary based on the type in brand anywhere from 35 to 50 or 60%.
Tonic water is a carbonated water with quinine added in. Quinine is actually an antimalarial, but the amount added in tonic water is just a small amount. It does contribute to the distinct bitter flavor of tonic water. Additionally, most tonic waters nowadays have added sweetener or sugar of some type added in as well making it not a super low calorie option like soda water.
When to mix this drink
With its light, busy and refreshing flavor the brandy and tonic is well suited for many different occasions. Here are a few you might want to try it out for.
- summer barbecues
- pool parties
- spring and summer get togethers
- Summer evening sipping
How to make this drink:
If you have 5 minutes or less, then you can mix this cocktail up. No expert techniques needed or complex ingredients used for this drink. Just toss your two liquids together and you are good to go.
- 2 oz Brandy
- 4 oz Tonic
To get started first make sure you have everything you need to make your drink including highball glass, jigger, bar spoon, Brandy, tonic water and ice.
Go ahead and fill your highball glass almost completely to the top with ice.
Pick up your brandy and your jigger. Use your jigger to measure 2 oz of brandy and slowly pour it into your highball glass over your ice.
Pick up your tonic water and your jigger. Use your jigger to measure 4 oz of tonic water and slowly poured in your highball glass with your ice and brandy.
Note: If You don’t want to measure your tonic water you can simply top your glass off with tonic water It may be a little more than 4 oz but will taste just fine.
Take your bar spoon and carefully but thoroughly mix your brandy and tonic water together. If you would like to add an optional lime or lemon wedge as a garnish you can. Then enjoy!
Brandy and Tonic
- bar spoon
- highball glass
- 2 oz Brandy
- 4 oz tonic water
- lemon or lime wedge optional garnish
- Gather up your glass, jigger and spoon as well as you tonic and brandy.
- Take some ice and fill your highball glass to the top.
- Use your jigger and measure out 2 oz of brandy.
- Pour the brandy into your glass with the ice
- Use your jigger and measure out 4 oz of tonic water.
- Pour the tonic water into your glass with the brandy and ice.
- Use your bar spoon to give the drink a few good stirs, making sure everything is well combined.
- If you want to add an optional lemon or lime wedge:Cut a lemon or lime into even wedges.Cut a small notch between the pulp and peel of one wedge.Use the notch to secure your wedge on the rim of your glass.