Occassional Cocktails may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
This classic and easy to make one ingredient cocktail is full of fruity flavor. Try out a Brandy on the rocks If you’re looking for something simple, sophisticated and easy to make. Each sip will have you relaxing and enjoying the complex fruity flavors.
🥃 What is a Brandy on the Rocks?
A Brandy on the rocks is a simple and easy to make one ingredient drink where you pour a shot, or 2 oz, of Brandy over ice in a rocks glass. Drinking this simple drink with just a little ice and liquor really allows you to enjoy the complex, sweet and fruity flavors of the brandy.
When you use the term over ice or on the rocks when referring to drinks or cocktails it’s simply means that you’re serving the drink with ice. There are usually two reasons to serve a drink this way.
The first reason is that it helps to chill the drink well. And the second reason is that as the ice melts it will help to dilute the liquor a little taking some of the bite away.
Here just a few reasons why you’re sure to enjoy this cocktail:
- Super simple. You can’t get much simpler than adding one ingredient into a glass with ice and getting right to sipping.
- Quick and easy. You can have this ready to go in under 2 minutes. All you have to do is measure your ingredient add a little ice and put it all in a glass.
- Savor the flavor. By serving brandy by itself you can really savor the complex flavor of this liqueur and enjoy all of the tones and notes of the drink.
⭐ When to Make This Drink
With the ease and simplicity of this cocktail you can serve it at almost any time you desire. Consider trying it out at a few of these times:
- Cocktail hour
- Pre-dinner drinks
With only one ingredient there’s not a ton of changes you can make to this one, however, you are just a few ideas to try:
- Use great ice. Using a high quality ice made from clear water or a craft ice that is a large cube or large circle can really help to add to the strength. Using large ice instead of regular ice also prevents it from melting too fast.
- Dilute a little. Add a tiny splash of water to dilute it just a little and take some of the bite off of the alcohol.
- Use different brandys. There are wide variety of different brandys that are made from different fruits which result in different flavorings. Try out a wide variety to decide what is your flavor preference.
- 2 oz Brandy
- (optional) orange wedge
Gather everything up including rocks glass, jigger, ice and Brandy.
Take your ice and use it to fill the rocks glass up to the very top.
Grab your brandy and pour 2 oz of it into the jigger.
Pick your jigger up and pour the brandy into the rocks glass over the ice.
Brandy on the Rocks
- Rocks glass
- 2 oz Brandy
- Fill the rocks glass up to the top with ice.
- If you want to add a garnish:1) Slice an orange into wedges.2) Cut a notch in one wedge and place it on the rim of the glass.
- Measure 2 oz of brandy with the jigger and pour into the glass.
- Give the drink a swirl and enjoy.
- Change up the flavor by using a flavored brandy; for example apple brandy.
- Change up the garnish; maraschino cherries or lemon twists also work well.
- Use one large ice cube to evenly chill the brandy.